K-State Housing and Dining Services continues without Sunday dinners

0
795
Nicholaus Elliott, freshman in biology, and Katie Cicmanec, freshman in open option, eat a Sunday dinner at Fuzzy's Taco Shop on Feb. 19, 2017. (Photo by Kelly Pham | The Collegian)

The dining halls at Kansas State provide a convenient meal option for students throughout the week, but when it comes to Sunday dinners, students must find alternative options because the dining halls do not offer meals on Sunday evenings.

“One major reason for not having Sunday night dinner in the dining halls is the cost to run that shift,” said Mary Molt, dining services associate director and assistant professor of hospitality management and dietetics.

Molt said the dining department has a budget they work with each year. This budget revenue comes from the fees students pay for one of two meal plans.

For $1,910 per semester, the 14-meal plan allows students to swipe into the dining halls 14 times per week and includes two guest passes each semester. For $2,225 per semester, the all-access pass allows students to swipe into the dining halls an unlimited number of times, as well as five guest passes, one meal at JP’s Sports Grill and 5 percent off the retail store.

Molt said another reason the dining halls are not open on Sundays is so full-time employees and student workers can take a break.

Student thoughts

Some students are frustrated that dinner is not served in the dining centers on Sunday evenings.

“It honestly is (inconvenient),” said Astrid Altamirano, freshman in biochemistry. “I have to waste money on fast food restaurants. It’s just not convenient at all.”

Brooklyn Burnett, freshman in interior design, said students would benefit if the dining halls were open on Sunday evenings.

“I do wish that the dining halls had food on Sunday,” Burnett said. “It would be really convenient and a good option for people who don’t have a car or money to go out and eat.”

Local restaurants also feel the impact on Sunday evenings when students go out to eat. An employee of Jimmy John’s in Aggieville said sales on Sunday are higher than on normal school nights.

Fuzzy’s Taco Shop manager Sarah Karl said the restaurant sees an increase in sales on Sunday evenings.

“We have a Sunday night student special of nachos and a drink for $6.50, so many students come in for that,” Karl said.