K-State Open House schedule

0
421
Students operate a booth in the K-State Student Union for people to visit and learn more about their organization at Open House on April 16, 2016. (File Photo by Jessica Robbins | The Collegian)

Capitalizing on the ongoing campus construction projects, Kansas State’s annual all-university Open House is themed “The Future is Built Here.” The event is K-State’s largest event of the year and is expected to bring in about 20,000 people.

The Manhattan campus’ Open House is Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

According to the Open House website, students, prospective students, families, alumni and guests can “enjoy food, fun and a glimpse of a purple-tinted future” during the event.

College exploration

• College of Arts and Sciences
    The physics department will host user-friendly demonstrations and interactive activities at 11:30 a.m. in 103 Cardwell Hall.
  • College of Engineering
    Students and faculty will race bicycles powered by grass-trimmer motors between Rathbone and Seaton halls.
  • College of Business Administration
    Guests can visit the college’s new building and learn about the college’s history.
  • College of Education
    A petting zoo, balloon animals, snacks and more will be available in Bluemont Hall.
  • College of Agriculture
    Airbrush tattoos, milking demonstrations and a bug petting zoo will be available outside of Waters Hall.
  • College of Human Ecology
    Guests can get a free hearing screening in 127 Campus Creek Complex from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
  • College of Architecture, Planning and Design
    Guests can help build “BOXhattan” out of recycled materials and Lego bricks on the third floor of Seaton Hall.
  • College of Veterinary Medicine
    A two-headed calf and other birth anomalies will be available for viewing in 204 Trotter Hall.

Food

• Rise and dine
    Pancake feed in 142 Seaton Hall from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
  • Bake sale
    The K-State Bakery Science Club will have baked goods available in 204 Shellenberger Hall.
  • Frozen yogurt
    Visitors can find it available outside of Justin Hall.
  • Barbecue
    A barbecue lunch outside of Bosco Student Plaza from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
  • Dining Centers
    Meals at the Kramer and Derby dining centers can be purchased from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Coffee
    Stop by Radina’s Coffeehouse in the Leadership Studies Building or Engineering Hall for on-campus coffee.

Entertainment

• In-A-Chord
    The student group can be heard on Bosco Student Plaza at 9:50 a.m.
  • Swingin’ Spurs
    The K-State Swing Dancing Club will perform at 10:30 a.m. on Bosco Student Plaza.
  • K-State Marching Band and Drumline
    The Pride of Wildcat Land will perform at 2:30 p.m. on Bosco Student Plaza.
  • Lecompton Reenactors
    The Lecompton Reenactors will perform their historical acting skills at 10 a.m. on the Quad.
  • Jordy Searcy
    Jordy Searcy will perform music at 12:45 p.m. on Bosco Student Plaza.
  • K-State Tap Ensemble
    The K-State Tap Ensemble will perform at noon on Bosco Student Plaza.

For a full schedule, visit www.k-state.edu/openhouse/events/.

Kaitlyn Alanis
Hi, I'm Kaitlyn Alanis, former news editor for the Collegian and a May 2017 graduate in agricultural communications and journalism. I have never tried a hamburger and I hate the taste of coffee, but I love writing stories and sharing what I learn with our readers. By writing for the Collegian, I can now not only sing along when the K-State Band plays "The Band is Hot," but I also know that most agriculture students did not grow up on a farm, how to use an AED to save someone's life and why there is a bust of MLK Jr. outside of Ahearn Field House. Thanks for reading!