News Briefs: April 4

0
98

Mylan EpiPens (epinephrine injection) were recalled on March 31, according to a release by the Food and Drug Administration, which was sent to Kansas State students in an email from Lafene Health Center on Monday. There is potential the devices may fail to activate, which means the medication might not be delivered as expected when injected due to a defective part in the pen.

The State of the ‘Ville will occur during the Manhattan City Commissioners meeting tonight at 7 p.m., according to a Facebook event by Aggieville. The Manhattan Mercury reported the plan for Aggieville includes goals to increase housing and retail opportunities, streetscape upgrades and hopes to use city parking lots as leverage for development.

The Kansas House voted down legislation that would more than double the state’s sales tax on cigarettes and eliminate close to a dozen sales tax exemptions on Monday, according to the Topeka Capital-Journal. The sales tax exemptions would have trimmed one cent off the state’s sales tax of food, which was estimated to bring in $56 million.

The University of Kansas is selling alcoholic beverages during a trial period at some on-campus events in order to compete with off-campus experiences, according to KCTV. Other than sales at the Lied Center and Murphy Hall, university policy still prohibits alcoholic beverage sales to people on campus. The policy does allow alcohol at approved university events and during events such as football game tailgates.

Kaitlyn Alanis
Hi, I'm Kaitlyn Alanis, former news editor for the Collegian and a May 2017 graduate in agricultural communications and journalism. I have never tried a hamburger and I hate the taste of coffee, but I love writing stories and sharing what I learn with our readers. By writing for the Collegian, I can now not only sing along when the K-State Band plays "The Band is Hot," but I also know that most agriculture students did not grow up on a farm, how to use an AED to save someone's life and why there is a bust of MLK Jr. outside of Ahearn Field House. Thanks for reading!