Bat Cats look to put an end to cold streak

0
34
Senior first baseman, Jake Scudder, catches the ball for the out during the K-State game against TCU at Tointon Stadium on April 1, 2017. (File photo by Sabrina Cline | The Collegian)

The Kansas State Wildcat baseball team will finish up its home-and-home series with the Nebraska Cornhuskers at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, with first pitch coming from Tointon Family Stadium.

In the previous matchup earlier this season, Nebraska easily handled K-State, beating the Wildcats 11-1 in Lincoln, Nebraska. Since that game, K-State has struggled, going 1-5, all of which were conference games.

In nonconference games this season, K-State has looked pretty good, with a 15-7 record. Since Big 12 play started, things have not been so good, with just a 1-8 start. This is the second year in a row that the Wildcats have started 1-8 in conference play.

The senior trio of first baseman Jake Scudder, infielder Quintin Crandall and outfielder Steve Serratore has been deadly for K-State this year. Crandall and Scudder are tied for the team lead in home runs with six apiece, while Serratore is right on their tails with five. Scudder and Serratore are also first and second in RBIs on the team with 31 and 28, respectively.

A pair of freshman have been on-base machines for the Wildcats this year. Outfielder Will Brennan and infielder Cameron Thompson hold the top two batting averages on the team, batting .356 and .346, respectively.

Brennan was named Big 12 Newcomer of the Week Monday for his recent play. Brennan went six for 12 over the weekend and currently has an eight-game hitting streak.

Junior Justin Heskett and senior Parker Rigler have been very good on the mound for Kansas State. Heskett leads the team with a 2.66 ERA, and Rigler is right behind him with a 2.70 ERA. Senior Jordan Floyd leads the team in saves this season, having six of the team’s eight saves.

After the game against the Cornhuskers, the Wildcats will look to improve on their slow start in Big 12 play, as they host a three game series with the Texas Tech Red Raiders from April 13-15.