Buckets, water, walking: K-State Rotaract Club to host Walk for Water 5K

0
42

The Kansas State Rotaract Club will host its Walk for Water 5k at 10 a.m. Saturday at Bosco Student Plaza to raise money for Water Missions International, an organization that provides clean water for communities.

At the beginning of the race, participants will fill buckets with as much water as they can carry and walk with them along the 5k route through campus.

“The purpose of this is to serve as physical representation of the walk that people make in Third World countries to get access to clean water,” said Taylor Stewart, graduate student in counseling and student development and member of the K-State Rotaract Club. “We are not only hoping that this issue resonates with people, but also that it will help raise funds for the water crisis.”

According to the club’s website, 2.4 billion people live without access to adequate sanitation, 842,000 people die from diarrhea caused by unsafe drinking water, and in some countries, women and children spend two to three hours walking up to four miles for water sources, which are typically unsafe to drink.

“I hope everyone learns something and that they don’t take water as for granted as I think (we) do, because you can walk two feet in your dorm or down the street and always find a water fountain, but it’s not like that in other countries,” said Amber Craig, junior in psychology and service project coordinator for the club.

Early registration for the event has closed, but students are still able to register for $15, which includes entry into a raffle and two meals at Chipotle.

In addition to the event, there will be live music, outdoor games and food for people to enjoy after the walk.

The Rotaract Club also performs other community projects throughout the school year, including providing local elementary school children with books on their birthdays, sleeping in cardboard boxes to raise awareness for homelessness and helping the Manhattan Public Library with book sales.