Wildcat baseball team continues to struggle with loss to Cornhuskers

0
82
Senior third baseman Josh Ethier swings during his at-bat at the baseball game against TCU at Tointon Stadium on April 1, 2017. (File Photo by Sabrina Cline | The Collegian)

The Kansas State baseball team continued their struggles on Tuesday night with a loss to Nebraska. This was the second loss of the season to the Cornhuskers as they were defeated 6-1 at Tointon Family Stadium.

The Wildcats are now 16-16 and have lost 10 out of their last 11 games. The loss Tuesday night was their third straight.

The Bat Cats took the lead in the first inning with two outs when freshman infielder Cameron Thompson drew a walk that was followed by a double from senior first baseman Jake Scudder to score him from first.

It was all the offense that the Wildcats could put up in the game.

The Cornhuskers tied it up in the top of the fourth inning after two base hits and an error to make the game one run apiece.

Nebraska scored again in the fifth inning to give them the 2-1 lead at the midway point of the game.

The Cornhuskers blew the game open in the seventh inning as they scored four runs in the frame. They took advantage of two walks and a few wild pitches in the inning; all four of the runs were charged against Wildcat sophomore right-handed pitcher Bryce Ward.

The starting pitcher for K-State was sophomore right-handed pitcher Brogan Heinen who threw five innings and allowed two earned runs while throwing four strikeouts.

Wildcat freshmen right-handed pitchers Jared Marolf and Kasey Ford each threw an inning apiece without allowing a run in the final two frames.

The Cornhuskers had five pitchers in the contest as their senior starter Benn Miller went three innings while only allowing one run in the first inning. They also struck out six batters and allowed only four hits in the winning effort.

Miller also had two runs batted in for Nebraska while his teammate freshman Moho Hagge also provided two runs batted in.

The Wildcats will be back at home starting on Thursday when they host the Texas Tech Red Raiders at Tointon Family Stadium.