BatCats sweep New Mexico in doubleheader

0
62
Sophomore pitcher Brogan Heinen pitches the ball during the game against New Mexico at Tointon Family Stadium on April 18, 2017. (Sabrina Cline The Collegian)

The Kansas State baseball team got back over .500 on Tuesday after sweeping New Mexico in a doubleheader at Tointon Family Stadium.

The two games were opposites of each other, one featuring an offensive explosion and the other a pitching gem.

In the first game, the Lobos got out to an 8-1 lead in the second inning, but it was the Wildcats that fought back into the game.

After being down 9-4 in the bottom of the seventh inning, K-State put up a four spot in that inning that was highlighted by a Jake Scudder three-run home run, which was the senior first baseman’s second of the day. This was also his fourth home run in the past three games.

The very next inning, the Wildcats scored four more runs including two hits and three walks to give the Wildcats a three-run advantage.

The Lobos made a comeback as they scored a run in the ninth, but couldn’t get all the way back as they lost 12-10.

The Wildcats and Lobos had about an hour between games and the pitching staffs kept on for game two of the double header.

K-State struck first in the bottom of the second inning after numerous walks in the inning opened the door for the Wildcats.

New Mexico tied the game up in the top of the fourth inning off a home run, but the Wildcats scored two runs in the bottom part of that frame to regain the lead.

The Lobos clawed back into the game as they scored a run in the top of the seventh inning and had runners in scoring position in the eighth, but couldn’t ever tie it back up. The Wildcats held on to win 3-2 to sweep the Lobo’s and improve to 18-17 on the season.

K-State will host West Virginia this weekend at Tointon Family Stadium starting on Friday night.