Students volunteer at Manhattan Boys & Girls Club, gain experience for future careers

0
148

With a stated mission “to inspire and enable all young people to reach their full potential as productive, caring and responsible citizens,” the Manhattan Boys & Girls Club provides a safe place for the city’s youth to learn and socialize with each other before and after school, as well as during the summer months.

The club is open to children from elementary school through high school, and volunteers, which include students from Kansas State, provide fun and educational activities.

Alexis Nouhan, sophomore in elementary education, works with the club’s third-grade students.

“I wanted to work with kids to help with my future job in elementary education,” Nouhan said. “Throughout the week we go through a book and a (science, technology, engineering and math) program.”

Nouhan said the STEM program allows the children to be creative with Legos and play computer and iPad games.

Rachel Walker, sophomore in apparel and textiles marketing, is a program leader for the club, which means she is assigned a group of kids usually between fourth and sixth grades.

“This semester we’ve started something new,” Walker said. “The kids got to decide what kinds of clubs they wanted to have so my site has Art Club and All Star Club. We also have two clubs provided by Boys & Girls Club of America called Passport to Manhood and Smart Girls, which is projected to teach each group specific things about growing up.”

Ashlyn Riley, sophomore in elementary education and program leader, said she creates activities and lessons for the children.

“I chose to work at Boys & Girls Club because I love working with children of all ages,” Riley said. “I also felt this would be a great experience I could have for my future career.”

The Boys & Girls Club of Manhattan has many opportunities and activities for the youth of Manhattan to attend before and after school, as well as during the summer. Information about the club can be found at http://www.bgclubmanhattan.com/.