Two Wildcats chosen in 2017 NFL Draft

0
366
K-State junior defensive end Jordan Willis prepares to tackle Kansas sophomore quarterback Ryan Willis during the football game on Nov. 28, 2015, at Memorial Stadium in Lawrence. (File Photo by George Walker | The Collegian)

The Kansas State Wildcats pushed their streak of having a player selected in the NFL Draft to 24 straight years, as the Wildcats had two players selected.

Senior defensive end Jordan Willis was the first to hear his named called, as he was picked in the third round, 73rd overall, by the Cincinnati Bengals. Willis slipped a bit, as he was projected to be taken in the late first or early second rounds.

Willis had a tremendous senior season, as he was selected as the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and Defensive Lineman of the Year at season’s end. His 11.5 sacks tied him for the most in a season in team history, and he finished his career with 26 sacks, the third most ever by a Wildcat.

The other Wildcat drafted was junior linebacker Elijah Lee. The Minnesota Vikings selected Lee with the 232nd pick in the seventh round. Lee had a team-high 110 tackles last season, which led him to earn First-Team All-Big 12 honors.

Lee was a two-time All-Big 12 linebacker, becoming the first to do so since Arthur Brown did it in the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Kansas State also had players that did not get drafted, but have already signed with teams.

Senior defensive back Dante Barnett reached an agreement with the Denver Broncos. Manhattan native senior wide receiver Deante Burton is headed to the NFC Champion Atlanta Falcons.

Senior linebacker Charmeachealle Moore has signed with the Los Angeles Chargers. Senior offensive lineman Terrale Johnson is also expected to reach an agreement with a team, but has not yet signed.