K-State defeats Oral Roberts for first win of the year

0
74
Katie Cramer, then-freshman forward, keeps the ball away from her defender during the game against Univeristy of Missouri Kansas City at the K-State Soccer Complex on Sept. 30, 2016. (File photo by Sabrina Cline | The Collegian)

The Kansas State Wildcats finished off their three-match road trip with a 1-0 victory over Oral Roberts, making it the program’s third road win in its history.

The last road win for the program was Sept. 4, 2016 at University of Nebraska-Omaha.

K-State won the game on its only goal in the seventh minute of the first half. On a corner kick freshman Hannah Davis passed the ball to sophomore Laramie Hall, who lofted the ball toward keeper Ryleigh Bohnensteil, who attempted to make the save. However, to make the save, an off-balance Bohnensteil had to toss the ball back into play to prevent an own goal.

Junior defender Haley Sutter was in the right place at the right time. Sutter easily kicked the ball into the net for her second goal of the year.

Hall was credited with an assist on the goal.

“It was a really great shot (from Hall),” Sutter said to K-State Sports. “I just jumped on the opportunity. I saw the keeper about to fall into the goal and she had to do something with the ball. I just stayed to get the ball at the end of it.”

A 575 minute stretch without a goal that lasted over six matches and a 655:38 road scoreless streak that last over seven matches were both ended by the Wildcats’ goal.

Head coach Mike Dibbini said he was proud of his team for executing the rehearsed play in the program’s first win of the year.

“They executed one of our set pieces that we trained them on early on this fall, Dibbini said to K-State Sports. “It is good to score. We played a good team that played really well on (its) home field tonight. They were dynamic. They are going to surprise a lot of teams. Our girls got the shutout and got the win. We move on from this and we now prepare to play our first home game.”

The Golden Eagles came close to tying the match in the 64th minute on a kick 23 yards from the goal by Chloe Basnett, who headed the ball to the net but was blocked by K-State goalkeeper Miranda Larkin. Oral Roberts had a good second chance opportunity with an open net but the pressure of Morgan Edan caused the shot to sail over the goal.

“They did a nice job in collecting the shut out. It was a collaborative effort from everybody,” said Dibbini to K-State Sports of his team’s second shutout. “You saw the defending start up higher on the field. It was a domino effect with everyone defending.

“They were dynamic and we did a good job of containing them and keeping them in front of us,” Dibbini said. “We dodged a couple bullets but they dodged a couple of our bullets as well. We need to continue to do a better job in the final third and in the box.”

K-State now heads home to play its home opener on Wednesday, Aug. 30, against Omaha at 7 p.m. This will be the first home contest of the 2017-2018 K-State athletics calendar.