Wildcats drop second soccer match of season

0
33
The K-State Woman's Soccer team played Oral Roberts on the newly completed woman's soccer field on Sept. 23, 2016. (File photo by Austin Fuller | Collegian Media Group)

Coming off of a 2-0 victory versus the University of Nebraska Omaha at home, the Kansas State Wildcats hit the road to Waterloo, Iowa, to seek revenge on the team that soured their 2016 inaugural home game, the University of Northern Iowa.

The match was 0-0 for nearly the entire first half until just seconds before the break, when Northern Iowa scored on a corner kick.

That single last-second kick would be enough for the Northern Iowa Panthers to get their fifth win of the season, as they now stand undefeated at 5-0-0. The Wildcats lost for the second time this season, bringing their record to 2-2-1.

A game-winning corner kick looked all to familiar for K-State. In last year’s meeting between the two teams, Northern Iowa went up 2-1 on a corner kick before halftime, and no one scored the rest of the match.

K-State has been shut out in each loss this season.

Up until the point where the Panthers scored a goal, Wildcat goalie Miranda Larkin held a scoreless stretch of 266:11, breaking her own school record. Larkin had three saves on that day.

K-State took 10 shots in the game, including six on goal. Northern Iowa shot 13 times with fewer shots on goal, only getting four. However, it was still enough to get the victory. Freshman Hannah Davis led the Wildcats with four shots.

K-State will come home for the next game as they host the University of Central Arkansas Bears, whose football team recently came to town and netted a loss. The game is on Friday, Sept. 8 at 7 p.m.

I’m Jarrett Whitson, the sports editor this semester. I’m from Blue Rapids, KS, a town of just over 1,000 people about 40 miles north of Manhattan. I’m a junior in Public Relations, and a member of FarmHouse Fraternity. I love playing and talking about sports— especially college football