What to watch: Week 4

0
67
Sophomore running back Alex Barnes runs the ball down the field dodging the defense during the K-State football game against Charlotte in Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Sept. 9, 2017. (File photo by Nathan Jones | Collegian Media Group)

With conference play starting in college football, big-time matchups will be slated over the course of the rest of year starting right now.

No. 1 University of Alabama vs. Vanderbilt

Alabama, the nation’s number one team, tested itself in week one, defeating the then No. 3 Florida State Seminoles 24-7. The Crimson Tide followed that up with a 41-10 win over Fresno State and beat Colorado State 41-23.

Sophomore quarterback Jalen Hurts has exceed expectations thus far. Hurts has thrown for four touchdowns and zero interceptions in his team’s three victories. Hurts has also been extremely dangerous on his feet, rushing for team high of 312 yards. He has also found the end zone three times on the ground, same as junior running back Damien Harris.

Vanderbilt was tested last week but found a way to get the win, beating Kansas State 14-7.

Junior quarterback Kyle Shurmur has been terrific for Vandy’s offense. He has thrown for 703 yards with eight touchdowns to go along with no interceptions. If Vandy wants to pull off the upset, Shurmur will need to play even better.

The Crimson Tide and Commodores will kick off at 2:30 p.m. Saturday and can be seen on CBS.

No. 16 TCU vs. No. 6 Oklahoma State

The TCU Horned Frogs are undefeated on the year. TCU visited the Arkansas Razorbacks in week two and came away with a 28-7 win. Last week, the team won a shootout on the road against Southern Methodist University 56-36.

Senior quarterback Kenny Hill has been extremely accurate this season, completing 75 percent of his passes. TCU has plenty of receivers that can make an impact, as eight different players have caught a touchdown this year. The Horned Frogs are also dangerous on the ground, as five different players have rushed for a score.

Oklahoma State has bullied its opponents this year, winning by margins of 35, 37 and 38 in its non-conference matchups.

Senior quarterback Mason Rudolph has been playing on a Heisman-caliber level this season. Rudolph has thrown for 1,135 yards and 11 touchdowns in just three games. To go along with his passing stats, Rudolph has also scored twice on the ground.

TCU and Oklahoma State will kick off in Stillwater, Oklahoma at 2:30 p.m. on ESPN.

No. 17 Mississippi State vs. No. 11 University of Georgia

Mississippi jumped in the rankings this past week when the Bulldogs stomped then No. 12 Louisiana State 37-7.

Junior quarterback Nick Fitzgerald has been the MVP of the Bulldog offense this year. Fitzgerald has thrown for seven touchdowns with only one interception. Fitzgerald is also a proven runner, as he has rushed for a team-high five touchdowns and is second on the team in yards with 240.

Georgia’s biggest win of the season came in week two when they traveled to Indiana and beat then No. 24 Notre Dame 20-19.

Senior running back Nick Chubb has performed well in the backfield this year. Chubb leads the team in rushing with 290 yards. He has also found the end zone four times on the ground.

The SEC contest will kick off at 6 p.m. on ESPN.