L.A. Times editor kicks off ‘How I Landed My Job’ speaker series

0
174
Students listen to Scott Kraft, Deputy Managing Editor at the L.A. Times, during a Lecture in Manhattan, Kan. on Sept. 25, 2017. (Blake Reid | Collegian Media Group)

Students piled into Kedzie Hall Monday to hear Scott Kraft, notable Kansas State alum and deputy managing editor for the L.A. Times, begin the “How I Landed My Job” speaker series.

Kraft’s speech gave students an idea of how he started his career and gained experience while at K-State. He also shared wisdom with students to help advance their journalistic careers.

Kraft is a journalist who spent time working with the Associated Press before spending over 30 years with the L.A. Times, serving in a wide range of roles. He had a passion for journalism from a young age and was able to advance his career through practical experience.

Kraft took advantage of the opportunities K-State offered and was the editor-in-chief for the Collegian. Kraft said the early exposure to a newsroom in college was incredibly advantageous.

In addition to writing for the Collegian, he also sought out other ways to satisfy his journalistic thirst.

“Internships, I found invaluable,” Kraft said.

In addition to detailing his start and touching on some of the highlights of his career, Kraft also gave practical advice to the students filling Kedzie 105.

“Journalism is the kind of profession where you are learning all the time,” Kraft said. “As a reporter, your whole life is going to be learning.”

Editing was also a focal point of the speech.

“The best writers I’ve ever known are great re-writers of their own stuff,” Kraft said.

Susan Edgerley, JMC professional-in-residence and former metro and assistant managing editor at The New York Times, is in charge of facilitating the “How I Landed My Job” speaker series. Edgerley described the mission behind the series as showing students that a K-State journalism and mass communications degree can effectively prepare students for the workforce, allowing them to have a highly successful and exciting career.

Anna Siggers, junior in public relations, said she enjoyed hearing the experience Kraft had from graduating to climbing the ranks in the professional world.

“Every day is a new experience, and you’re constantly learning after so many years,” Siggers said.

The “How I Got My Job” speaker series will continue this fall with alumni Pete Souza, former White House photographer, and Carrie Henderson, producer for NBC.