Wildcats prepare for final road match of the season

The Kansas State volleyball team will play its final road game of the season tonight as they take on the Baylor Bears in Waco, Texas.

Baylor is ranked No. 19 in the country and coming into the match with a record of 21-5 and 11-2 in Big 12 play, while the Wildcats are 9-17 overall and 2-11 in conference play.

This is the 10th ranked opponent the Wildcats will have faced this season, which is the most since the 2011 season when they faced 11.

In Saturday’s game against Texas Christian University, the two junior outside hitters Kylee Zumach and Alyssa Schultejans led the team with 18 and 11 kills, respectively. K-State was very good on the defensive end, posting several blocks by junior middle blocker Macy Flowers, who had eight, and sophomore middle blocker Elle Sandbothe, who finished with seven.

The Wildcats currently sit on an eight-game losing streak — the second longest streak in Suzie Fritz’s coaching era — and are coming off their five-set loss to TCU. This was the 10th five-set match the Wildcats have played in this season, but they are only 3-7 in those matches.

The Wildcats currently lead the Big 12 conference in service aces with 64 in the 13 conference matches played this season. Zumach reached a career best with 28 aces on the season and has one in each of the past six matches.

As for the Baylor Bears, the team came into the match on an emotional high as it beat Kansas in a sweep on Saturday night and is now ranked second in the conference. The Bears are also winners of their last nine of 10 matches, including three top 25 victories.

They are led by Yossiana Pressley, who leads the conference in kills per set, while her teammate Katie Staiger is in third in the conference in the same category.

The Bears are also very efficient on the offensive side of the ball, as they have three players in the top 10 in the conference in hitting efficiency.

K-State will attempt to get its first win against a ranked opponent during its final road game of the season tonight at 6 p.m on Baylor’s home court.