Volleyball falls to Baylor 3-1, gets ready for Oklahoma this weekend

The Kansas State volleyball team lost its last road match of the season to Baylor on Wednesday night in four sets.

“We were pleased with our serving and passing,” head coach Suzie Fritz said to K-State Sports. “We are having to make some adjustments, asking some people to do a little bit more in those areas than they have in the past, and I think they responded well to that. Oftentimes, serve and pass is a pretty important part of being successful, so we were pleased with that part of it.”

This is the first time since 2010 that Baylor has swept the season series from K-State.

“Brynn Carlson took advantage of her opportunity,” Fritz said. “Cheyenne Hooper, really the first time we have utilized her strengths, came in and was four-for-four as an attacker. For me, the passing core is what really stood out. Reilly Killeen and Devan Fairfield and Kylee Zumach did a nice job of giving us some opportunities for first-swing production.”

Junior Reilly Killeen and sophomore Sarah Dixon both ended with double digits in digs, with 14 and 11, respectively.

Not one player for K-State ended with double-digit kills, but junior Kylee Zumach and freshman Brynn Carlson both ended with eight.

“At this point in time, we still feel like we need to be a better transition team and be able to get more opportunities for transition swings and better transition swings,” Fritz said. “There’s a lot of things that lead up to that: dig quality, set quality, attacking range and purpose. We are going to try and tackle that in the next couple days.”

Baylor is now 22-5 overall and 12-2 in Big 12 play, while K-State is 9-18 overall and 2-12 in Big 12 play.

The Wildcats have yet to beat a nationally-ranked opponent this season.

The volleyball team will come home to play its final two matches of the season, starting on Saturday when the Wildcats take on the University of Oklahoma. The Sooners have struggled this season, being 7-19 overall and 4-9 in conference play. K-State will hope to end a nine-game losing streak.

The game against Oklahoma will begin at 7 p.m. Saturday inside Ahearn Field House, and the game will be streamed on the WatchESPN app.