Food Science Club holds gingerbread house building competition

1
57

The Food Science Club held a gingerbread house competition in Call Hall Thursday evening.

Students in the club competed in teams to make elaborate houses out of graham crackers. The winners received gift cards to the Call Hall Dairy Bar.

Halle Sparks, senior in food science, and her group won first place in the gingerbread competition with their marshmallow-covered house with a Dots and pretzel bonfire.

Sparks joined the club as a way to get connected to the food industry.

“I don’t come from an [agriculture] background,” Sparks said. “I was actually a biology [major] before food science, so I kind of just wanted to use the club as a segue to meet other food science people, meet people who are passionate about food and passionate about the same things I am.”

Sparks, along with her processing co-chair Sierra Savage, junior in food science, are currently trying to develop a new product to sell in Call Hall alongside the ice cream, eggs and meat products.

“We’re thinking of making an alfredo sauce to sell for next semester at the Open House,” Sparks said.

“It’s just something that Sierra and I have just taken charge of,” Sparks continued. “But we’re open to having other people help out if they wanted to.”

Christine Rock, president of the Food Science Club and senior in food science, said events like this are a good way to bring food science majors together outside of class.

“It’s a fairly small major,” Rock said. “There’s not a ton of people. So it’s kind of nice that those who are can get to know each other better and have some fun.”

Rock said the club’s meetings are intended to be helpful and educational, but fun as well.

“We did pumpkin carving and Friendsgiving, as well as having professionals come in to talk to us, and people from companies looking to recruit for internships and jobs,” Rock said.

Rock said the club is also going to attend the Winter Fancy Food Show in San Francisco in January to explore new food trends and specialty items.

Chelsey Reeder, senior in food science, said she enjoys being in Food Science Club.

“It’s just so much fun,” Reeder said. “There are a lot of really good people. The rule is no food goes to waste, so you always go home with a bunch of snacks.”

Rock explained that the Food Science Club is not just for food science majors.

“If there’s an interest for food and a passion for food, then anyone’s welcome,” Rock said.

• Paolo Ugo

HISTORY OF ALFREDO DI LELIO CREATOR IN 1908 OF “FETTUCCINE ALL’ALFREDO” (“FETTUCCINE ALFREDO”), NOW SERVED BY HIS NEPHEW INES DI LELIO, AT THE RESTAURANT “IL VERO ALFREDO” – “ALFREDO DI ROMA” IN ROME, PIAZZA AUGUSTO IMPERATORE 30

With reference to your article I have the pleasure to tell you the history of my grandfather Alfredo Di Lelio, who is the creator of “Fettuccine all’Alfredo” (“Fettuccine Alfredo”) in 1908 in the “trattoria” run by his mother Angelina in Rome, Piazza Rosa (Piazza disappeared in 1910 following the construction of the Galleria Colonna / Sordi). This “trattoria” of Piazza Rosa has become the “birthplace of fettuccine all’Alfredo”.
    More specifically, as is well known to many people who love the “fettuccine all’Alfredo”, this famous dish in the world was invented by Alfredo Di Lelio concerned about the lack of appetite of his wife Ines, who was pregnant with my father Armando (born February 26, 1908).
    Alfredo di Lelio opened his restaurant “Alfredo” in 1914 in Rome and in 1943, during the war, he sold the restaurant to others outside his family.
    In 1950 Alfredo Di Lelio decided to reopen with his son Armando his restaurant in Piazza Augusto Imperatore n.30 “Il Vero Alfredo” (“Alfredo di Roma”), whose fame in the world has been strengthened by his nephew Alfredo and that now managed by me, with the famous “gold cutlery” (fork and spoon gold) donated in 1927 by two well-known American actors Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks (in gratitude for the hospitality).
    See the website of “Il Vero Alfredo” (also for franchising news).
    I must clarify that other restaurants “Alfredo” in Rome do not belong and are out of my brand “Il Vero Alfredo – Alfredo di Roma”.
    I inform you that the restaurant “Il Vero Alfredo –Alfredo di Roma” is in the registry of “Historic Shops of Excellence” of the City of Rome Capitale.
    Best regards Ines Di Lelio