Women’s basketball falls to Missouri in the Big 12/SEC Challenge

Mary Lakes, freshman center, during the Kansas State Wildcats women's basketball team game agasint the University of Nebraska Omaha Mavericks at Ahearn Field House in Manhattan, Kan. on Nov. 13, 2017. (File photo by Justin Wright | Collegian Media Group)

After a slow first half, where Kansas State saw itself down 41-22, the women’s basketball team rallied and ultimately fell to the University of Missouri, 73-59.

K-State now has a 5-2 record this season, while Missouri’s record rises to 6-1.

Junior guard Kayla Goth led the Wildcats in scoring in the first half, scoring eight points. Scoring eluded the Wildcats overall, with the team shooting just eight of 29 attempts from the field.

Senior guard Shaelyn Martin had six rebounds in the first half, which led the team. Sophomore forward Peyton Williams was close behind her, hauling in five rebounds.

Freshman guard Rachel Ranke, who is second on the team in scoring, only made two points on two shots in the first quarter. Somewhat remarkably, K-State only recorded two personal fouls in the first half.

The Missouri Tigers made nearly half of their shots from the field, 17 for 35.

K-State cut into the point gap a little bit during the third quarter, outscoring Missouri 20-14.

The Wildcats almost cut into the deficit again in the fourth quarter, as Missouri outscored the Wildcats 18-17.

Goth ended the night with 17 points. This is Goth’s seventh straight game scoring in double figures. Williams also reached double figures, scoring 13 points and securing nine rebounds.

K-State will now have four more non-conference home games before conference play begins in the Big 12, starting with the University of Texas at Arlington. That game will tip off on Wednesday in Bramlage Coliseum at 7 p.m. The game can be seen on ESPN3 or heard on the K-State Sports Network.

Conference play for the Wildcats will begin before the new year starts, with the women’s team facing Baylor on Dec. 28 at home.