Track and field to compete in Carol Robinson Winter Pentathlon

0
52
Track and field attendees watch the Kansas State track meet at Ahearn Field House in Manhattan, Kan. on Feb. 17, 2017. (File photo by John Benfer | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State track and field teams will compete at home in the Carol Robinson Winter Pentathlon today at Ahearn Field House.

The men’s and women’s teams will compete in four of the same events today. These events include the 60-meter hurdles, high jump, shot put and the long jump. The women will run an 800-meter race, while the men will run a 1,000-meter race.

There will be at least a 30-minute break from the conclusion of one event to the start of the next. The men’s pentathlon is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m and the women’s is scheduled to follow at 10:30 a.m.

This year, the men’s team is made up of 11 freshmen, eight sophomores, 11 juniors and nine seniors, while the women’s team has 11 freshmen, 13 sophomores, six juniors and 10 seniors on their roster.

“We should be really good if we’re healthy,” head coach Cliff Rovelto said to K-State Sports. “On paper, we’ve got people that can compete at the very top of the conference in almost every event.”

The large sophomore class for the women’s team has built up an impressive resume from last year, and there are three Wildcats who especially made an impact. Sophomore Nina Schultz, a Canadian multi-event athlete, ended the Big 12 indoor meet as a freshman last year with 14 individual points.

At the Big 12 pentathlon last year, sophomores Ariel Okorie and Lauren Taubert placed fourth and ninth, respectively.

“To have three true sophomores that are as good as these three are is rare,” Rovelto said to K-State Sports. “Obviously Nina had tremendous success as a freshman, but under normal circumstances, you would look at what the other two did and you’d say that was pretty good.”

Rovelto also said to K-State Sports that the men’s team is “certainly going to be better than they were a year ago.” At the 2017 Big 12 Indoor Championships, the K-State men’s team finished sixth.

The following athletes will compete for K-State in the Carol Robinson Winter Pentathlon: juniors Brett Neelly and Jayce Brock will compete in the shot put; junior Simone Fassina will compete in the heptathlon; senior Mitch Dixon will compete in the weight throw; Lukas Koch will run the 1-mile event; junior Kurt Loevenstein will run the 800-meter event and senior Terrell Smith will run the 200-meter dash.

Each of these athletes scored for K-State last year at the indoor meet.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.