This year, the Kansas State football team is traveling to Phoenix, Arizona, to play UCLA on Dec. 26 with kickoff scheduled for 8 p.m. CT. When planning a trip to the game, there are so many things to do before and after the bowl game. All around the Phoenix area, there are all types of activities to enjoy with your family. If you are in need of some inspiration, look no further.
1. Whataburger. Who doesn’t love Whataburger? Living in Kansas and getting the chance to eat at this classic fast food chain is few and far between. Enjoy their classic Whataburger or chicken strips, or if you are feeling more like breakfast, they also offer biscuits and pancakes.
2. Desert Botanical Garden. There are several trails you can walk through the garden. The giant saguaro cactus is lit up with Christmas lights.
3. Arizona Coyotes hockey game. If you are planning on staying in Phoenix a few days after the bowl game, why not take in a professional hockey game? The Arizona Coyotes play at home against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Dec. 28 at 7 p.m. MT.
4. In-N-Out Burger. If you are trying to get your food fix on this trip, Phoenix has you covered. With customizable burgers, hand-cut fries and thick shakes, In-N-Out is the place to grab a bite before of after seeing the Wildcats play.
5. Phoenix Zoo. Head on over to the Phoenix Zoo for Zoolights. You can see hundreds of light displays along with other activities throughout the zoo. Where else can you see tons of animals and Christmas lights all in one place?
6. Pregame Headquarters and Gameday Rally. All fans can attend this free event held by the Alumni Association before the game at Game Seven Grill located at 201 South 4th Street in Phoenix. This 20-minute program will start at 3:30 p.m. MT and feature several K-State guests, including Willie the Wildcat, athletic director Gene Taylor and president Richard Myers.
7. CitySkate in Phoenix. In the heart of downtown, Phoenix CityScape is transformed into an ice rink with a 36-foot holiday tree placed in the middle of the rink with hundreds of lights. With help this year from the Phoenix Art Museum, the retail space next to the rink will be a pop-up shop. CitySkate is located at 1 East Washington Street in Phoenix.
8. Holiday Bricktacular. If you are heading to Arizona for a few days before the bowl game, check out Legoland Discovery center over the weekend. Kids can build a Lego gingerbread house and meet a Lego Santa. Legoland Discovery Center is 20 minutes outside of Phoenix in Tempe, Arizona.
9. Illumination: Symphony of Light. If you are wanting another excuse to see some Christmas lights but do not want to get out of the car, this is for you. In this drive-through light show, visitors can tune their radio dials to see the lights synchronized to the holiday music being played. There is also a winter playground, Santa’s village and food trucks. The event is at 27701 North Black Canyon Highway.
10. Arizona Cardinals game. Looking to cross another professional football stadium off your bucket list? Look no further as the Arizona Cardinals play the New York Giants on Christmas Eve with kickoff at 2:25 MT.