Sneed leads the Wildcats with 20 points as they fall to West Virginia

0
115
The Men's Basketball teams of The University of West Virginia and Kansas State University face off at Bramlage Coliseum in Manhattan, Kansas, on January 1, 2018. (Photo by Cooper Kinley | K-State Athletics / Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State men’s basketball team hosted the West Virginia Mountaineers at home on Monday, where the Wildcats lost, 69-77. The Wildcats are now 11-3.

HALFTIME NUMBERS

At half, the Wildcats trailed the Mountaineers, 31-26.

For the Wildcats, junior Barry Brown led the Wildcats with eight points, followed by junior Dean Wade with six points. The Wildcats has a rather low scoring half as their field goal percentage was only 27.6 percent, and their three pointer percentage was 33.3 percent.

For the Mountaineers, their leading scorer was freshman Teddy Allen with eight points, followed by sophomore Sagaba Konate with six points. West Virginia’s field goal percentage was 51.7 percent, while their three-pointer percentage was 16.7 percent.

LEADING SCORERS

Sophomore Xavier Sneed was a major contributor for the Wildcats in the second half. Sneed led the team with 20 points, followed by Wade with 17 points. Their field goal percentage went up to 53.6 for the game, while their three point percentage went up to 25 percent overall.

Sophomore Lamont West led the Mountaineers with 22points, while Allen followed with 19 points. Their field goal percentage went up to 35.7 percent, while their three point percentage went up to 38.5 percent overall.

ANALYSIS

The motto for this game might as well have been “let’s get physical.”

Both the Mountaineers and the Wildcats were a bit out of control in the first half. There were multiple instances were there should have been fouls, but none were called. At one point in the game, a foul was taken away against West Virginia.

In both halves, there was a lot of flopping and diving on both sides of the ball. It became enough that one referee started saying “get up, get up” to players once they landed from their flop.

For the Wildcats, it wasn’t anyone’s day to play unless their name was Sneed. Kamau Stokes ended up with a bloody nose at one time, both freshman Levi Stockard and Diarra had four fouls for the game.

West Virginia sophomore Wesley Harris fouled out during today’s game, while no one fouled out for K-State.

Last week, the Wildcats won against Iowa State in Ames, their first victory at Iowa State since 2011. They take a win on the road, then gave one away at home.

During the post-game press conference, head coach Bruce Weber said that the Mountaineers “just picked them apart.”

The Wildcats will travel to Lubbock on Saturday, where they will take on the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.