UPDATE: Bill Snyder confirms that he will continue as head coach

0
845
The Kansas State Wildcats football team played the Oklahoma State University Cowboys at Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater, Okla. on Nov. 18, 2017. The Wildcats went on to win with a final score of 45-40. (Photo by Justin Wright | Collegian Media Group)

Update at 6:50 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 2– Head coach Bill Snyder and athletic director Gene Taylor have released statements confirming that Snyder will return for his 27th season.

Taylor’s statement reads:

“We are excited that Coach Snyder has decided to continue to lead our program and look forward to building off the late-season momentum which included five wins in our final six games, a Top 10 road win and Cactus Bowl victory. I know he and his staff, in addition to our student-athletes, are anxious to get winter workouts and spring practices underway in preparation for next season.”

Snyder’s statement reads:

“As I have stated many times, as long as I remain in good health, am wanted and have a positive impact on the young people in our program, I will continue to be the head coach at Kansas State University. Those factors have not changed, and I look forward to meeting with our players and beginning our out-of-season program when classes resume. I appreciate President Myers and Gene Taylor for their continued support of me, our program and our University. They are truly special K-Staters.”

Head coach Bill Snyder informed his coaching staff on Tuesday that he plans to return as Kansas State’s football coach for a 27th season. Snyder shared the news in a brief coaches meeting at the K-State football complex according to a source.

K-State just finished their 2017 season with an 8-5 record after beating UCLA in the Cactus Bowl, 35-17. During that time, Snyder had reiterated that “that hasn’t been decided yet.”

K-State Online was the first to report Snyder’s meeting with the coaches. The weeks of speculation and guessing have now come to a close as Snyder has now made-up his mind.

The 2018 season will be Snyder’s 27th season at K-State. Before coming to K-State in 1989, he served as the offensive coordinator at Iowa. During his career, he has coached 321 games, led the Wildcats to 210 victories, 19 bowl games and two conference championships. Snyder briefly retired in 2005 then returned in 2009. Snyder is the nations oldest active coach.

Snyder was inducted to the College Football Hall of Fame in 2015.

During last offseason, Snyder was diagnosed with throat cancer. However, Snyder bounced back for the 2017 season. Snyder commits to only one season at a time, leading to his return being a big topic every year.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.