While you were gone: What happened in MHK over break?

0
325

A member of the Riley County Police Department was shot Jan. 5. According to the Manhattan Mercury, the RCPD identified the alleged shooter as Mark Harrison, 38, a research associate at Kansas State. Police responded to a domestic situation at a home near Frank V. Bergmann Elementary. Upon officers’ arrival, there was an active shooter situation. Sgt. Pat Tiede sustained a non-life threatening wound. Harrison surrendered and is being held at the Riley County Jail on a $2 million bond, with the charge of attempted capital murder of a law enforcement officer.

A K-State employee is suing the university for sexual harassment. According to the Manhattan Mercury, Paulette Arnold, a systems coordinator, was harassed by co-worker Kevin Yaussi from 2013 to Feb. 2016 through graphic emails, physical advances and gifts left in her office. The lawsuit says Yaussi’s actions led to a written warning and recommendation to complete training on sexual harassment and professionalism. The lawsuit also says that Yaussi is still employed by the university in the same building as Arnold, although he was removed from her team. Arnold is seeking punitive damages, but the dollar amount is not specified.

K-State announced the selection of the chief diversity and inclusion officer. On Dec. 21, K-State News announced Bryan Samuel has been hired to fill the position, effective March 2018. Samuel served as the director of the Office of Equity and Diversity at the University of Tennesee, Chattanooga since 2009. Samuel interviewed for the position Dec. 7 in an open forum. “It is a distinct privilege to serve as a member of the Kansas State University community, and I am excited to work with all campus constituents,” Samuel said to K-State News.

A former city attorney was sentenced to prison time Dec. 19 for charges relating to child pornography. Bill Raymond, 55, will serve 17 years and six months in prison, according to the Kansas City Star. Raymond pleaded guilty to three counts of transporting and one count of possession of child pornography. He served as a city attorney for Manhattan from 2012 to 2015.

Police identified a suspect in connection with an incident in Aggieville involving the firing of a gun. According to the Topeka Capital-Journal, the incident took place early in the morning Dec. 17 in the 1100 block of Moro Street. The Riley County Police Department released surveillance footage of a man who is believed to be involved in the incident in a physical altercation with another person. The suspect was identified Dec. 18.

Manhattan High School’s head football coach will return for the 2018 season despite a hazing incident involving the assault of two players. According to the Wichita Eagle, a pair of 15- and 16-year-old boys were injured Oct. 26 on school grounds — however, a Riley County attorney wrote to the Manhattan Mercury, saying there is “no basis” to support the claims that coach and teacher Joe Schartz committed child endangerment. An anonymous source told the Mercury that the team’s tradition called “birthday beatdowns” resulted in the injuries.

A local Wendy’s restaurant will be closed for an unknown amount of time after a fire. According to WIBW, the Manhattan Fire Department responded to a fire to the Wendy’s at 3006 Anderson Ave. on Dec. 21. All employees and customers made it safely out of the building before responders arrived at 11:30 a.m. It took under 20 minutes for 17 firefighters to put out the flames.

Rachel Hogan
Hey, hi, hello! I’m Rachel Hogan, the copy chief for The Collegian. I’m a senior in journalism from Olathe, Kansas. When I’m not at work in the newsroom, I like to spend my time cuddling with my dog, working as a barista and laughing with my friends.