News Briefs: Jan. 19

0
69

Missouri governor Eric Greitens remains the object of speculation after admitting to having cheated on his wife in 2015. According to the Kansas City Star, Greitens now faces allegations of attempted blackmail from the woman involved in the affair, who claims he took a nude photo of her and threatened to leak it if she came forward about the affair. Since the allegations emerged, five Republican lawmakers have called for his resignation. Meanwhile, Greitens continues to work on tax cut proposals and budget recommendations.

Widespread flu infections continue to be reported by most American states, particularly the most crippling seasonal strain, H3N2. According to The New York Times, this flu season is similar to the 2014-2015 flu season, when H3N2 was the most prevalent strain. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Jan. 7 that about 78 percent of tested samples from this season have been genetically marked as H3N2.

Governor Sam Brownback’s nomination to become ambassador-at-large for international religious freedom advanced through the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Thursday. If confirmed by the full Senate, Brownback will become a part of the Trump administration. According to the Kansas City Star, Brownback was previously nominated in July 2017 but had to restart the approval process as he failed to gain the full Senate’s approval before the end of 2017.

Wyatt Thompson, play-by-play commentator for Kansas State’s football and men’s basketball teams, was named Kansas’ Sportscaster of the Year by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association. Thompson, who has served as the “voice of the Wildcats” for 16 years, has previously been awarded the title in 2011 and 2013, according to the Manhattan Mercury. He will officially receive the award June 23 in North Carolina during the National Sports Media Association Awards Weekend.

USD 383 is working to craft a bond measure to be voted on for the Nov. 6 ballot. The resolution could kickstart a financial plan to reduce crowding of Manhattan-Ogden elementary schools. According to the Manhattan Mercury, there are five solutions in the works, all of which could cost the school district around $100 million.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.