Women’s basketball will face challenge in No. 4 Baylor

0
58

After starting Big 12 conference play off with a 3-4 record, the Kansas State women’s basketball team will be looking to even out its record with an upset win on the road against No. 4 Baylor on Saturday at 6 p.m.

The Wildcats are 11-7 overall this season, and they recently fell at home to the University of Oklahoma 76-71. The team has picked up two wins against ranked teams in conference play with a victory on the road against No. 12 West Virginia University and a win at home against No. 20 Oklahoma State.

Unfortunately for the Wildcats, the Baylor Bears have been nearly perfect this year. The team’s only loss in its 16-1 record came on the road against No. 8 UCLA, 82-68. K-State played UCLA earlier in the year and lost as well, 64-55.

Junior guard Kayla Goth has been a catalyst for the Wildcat offense. Goth currently leads the team in scoring at 16.3 points per game. She also leads the Wildcats in assists, averaging 6.5 per game.

Sophomore forward Peyton Williams has been putting in work on both ends of the court, averaging 14.1 points per game and 7.3 rebounds. She also leads the team in blocked shots with 23 and is first on the team in field goal percentage, shooting 55.6 percent from the floor.

Senior guard Shaelyn Martin stuffs the stat sheet every time she steps on the court. Martin is averaging six points per game and four assists per game, and she is leading the team in rebounds per game with 7.4. Martin also leads the team in steals with 36.

Whether Martin will be available to play against Baylor is unclear — she has an ankle injury that she sustained in the loss to Oklahoma on Wednesday, according to Andrew Hammond on Twitter.

After the trip to Waco, Texas, the Wildcats will return home to face off against the TCU Horned Frogs on Wednesday at 7 p.m. before a trip to Lawrence to face KU on Jan. 28 at 4 p.m.