Men’s basketball beats another ranked team at home, 73-68

0
142
Clad in a lavender throwback uniform, junior forward Dean Wade takes a shot in Bramlage Coliseum on Saturday afternoon. The Wildcats strung together a second straight win against a ranked team at home with Saturday's victory over the Horned Frogs 73-68. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

For the first time since February 2015, the Kansas State men’s basketball team has won back-to-back top-25 wins at home.

After K-State won against the University of Oklahoma on Tuesday, they didn’t let up one bit when Texas Christian University rolled into town on Saturday. The game was a mixed bag of highs and lows, but mainly showed the power of the K-State offense as they beat another ranked team.

As K-State shot 52.9 percent from the field, they were able to show strong leadership and work ethic. Many people underestimated the Wildcats, but through the past couple of games, it might not be the case anymore. TCU only shot 42.9 percent from the field, a whole 10 percent less than the Wildcats.

It was a rollercoaster of a day for the Horned Frogs. Head coach Jamie Dixon received a technical early in the game, and later was ejected from the game, where he claims he had no explanation of why he was. Shortly after Dixon was ejected, associate head coach David Patrick stepped up to finish the game, where the Horned Frogs scrambled. It was obvious TCU was flustered, as they called plays with low percentage of actually working.

It was a big day for the Wildcats, both offensively and defensively. Junior Dean Wade led the Wildcats with 20 points, while juniors Makol Mawien and Barry Brown followed with 18 and 15 points.

Wade stepped up for the Wildcats and shined in the post-game press conference multiple times. Brown praised Wade’s performance.

“He has been playing awesome,” Brown said. “There is nothing he cannot do. He is not getting outside of himself. He just has that confidence that I have been telling him to have since my freshman year. I see things that he has been doing now that he could have been doing his freshman year. Maybe now it is just clicking for him, but I love the confidence and the shots he is taking. I love it all. He is playing his game and we are winning games.”

Head coach Bruce Weber also talked about the team’s focus and how they have impacted the overall progress.

“We talked about staying focused on the game,” Weber said. “I got a lot of emotion after the Kansas game, and I think all of our kids did but we came back and we just really focused. We kept talking about how we had to get prepared for Oklahoma. We started talking about how we were going to beat them, how we were going to stop them, what we were going to do, and they bought into it. That was my big message.”

The Wildcats will resume to action on Monday when they will travel down to Waco, Texas, and take on the Baylor Bears.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.