Brown and Wade carry Wildcats in road win against Baylor

0
119
Junior forward, Dean Wade, runs the ball towards the goal during the K-State game against Baylor in Bramlage Coliseum on Jan. 14, 2017. (Photo by Nathan Jones | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State men’s basketball team went to Waco, Texas, and won 90-83 against the Baylor University Bears. The stars of the game included junior Barry Brown, who had 34 points, and junior Dean Wade, who had 24 in the winning effort.

“We jumped on the back of Barry, and he carried us,” head coach Bruce Weber said. “We were really good defensively, and every time they went zone we passed the ball well. It’s a heck of a road win for us.”

K-State is now 15-5 overall and 5-3 in Big 12 play and in a tie for second with West Virginia University.

The Wildcats started off very hot scoring going up 10-4 in the first few minutes and had a pretty good night shooting the rest of the half.

The Wildcats extended that lead to 16 at 35-19 in the first half, their biggest of the first 20 minutes.

Baylor came back and punched back into the Wildcats’ lead as they got within five points at the end of the first half, 45-40.

It was a half that felt dominated by K-State, but the lead at the half didn’t feel as well as the Wildcats had played.

The Wildcats scored the first four points of the second half to lead 49-40.

K-State freshman Levi Stockard fouled with 17 minutes left in the half and only played three minutes.

The Wildcats went up 53-47 and that sparked a 11-2 run that put K-State up 64-49 with 12 minutes left in the game. At one point, Brown had eight straight points for K-State and halfway through the second half had 25 points.

“We know that lead wasn’t going to keep them from playing hard,” Brown said. “But we weathered the storm and won.”

Baylor came back once again down 73-66, but it was Brown who hit a step-back three pointer for his 30th point of the game, giving K-State a 10-point lead again.

“I’m not going to lie, the defender played good there,” Brown said. “I just kind of stepped back and followed through, and it went in.”

K-State led 82-72 before Baylor hit a three to cut the deficit to seven with a little under two minutes left.

The Wildcats would hold off any Baylor comeback and would win 90-83.

Next up for K-State, they will host the University of Georgia on Saturday at 1 p.m. inside Bramlage Coliseum before hosting Kansas on Monday night.