K-State track and field to compete in Razorback Invitational over weekend

0
76
Sophomore cross country/distance runner Morgan Wedekind leads a line of Tulsa runners around a corner en route to a win in the women's 8000 meter run at the DeLoss Dodds Invitational track and field meet at Ahearn Fieldhouse January 24, 2015. (File Photo by Parker Robb | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State men and women’s track and field teams will travel to Fayetteville, Arkansas, to compete in the two-day Razorback Invitational on Friday and Saturday.

Teams that have been invited to this meet alongside K-State include the University of Arkansas, the University of Florida, Florida State, the University of Georgia, Iowa State, LSU, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, and the University of Southern California.

For the men’s team, there have been 12 different athletes who have won the events they have competed in. Senior Terrell Smith leads these athletes with four event wins; three of the victories were in the 60-meter dash, and the other was the 200-meter race. Junior Brett Neely and senior Mitch Dixon follow close behind with three first-place finishes apiece.

On the women’s side, there have been 16 Wildcats who have placed first in their events during competition this season. Sophomore Nina Schultz has the most first-place finishes among the team with six. Sophomore Helene Ingvaldsen and seniors A’Keyla Mitchell, Ranae McKenzie and Jess St. John are close behind with three event wins each.

In the fourth annual KU-KSU-WSU Triangular, K-State’s men’s team had 22 athletes place in their respected events. Eight of them placed in multiple events. The Wildcats took home first place in 11 events during this meet. The women’s team competed in 18 events and took first in 14 of those events.

The men’s 60-meter dash, shot put and weight throwing events saw three Wildcat victories each. The women’s high jump, shot put and weight throw saw the most victories from K-State athletes overall this season.

The last meet that the Wildcats competed in was the Larry Wieczorek Invitational on Jan. 20. At the end of the second day of this event, K-State’s women’s team had 58.33 points, which put them in fifth, and the men’s team finished with 38 points, placing seventh.

“For our first time traveling this weekend, things went relatively well,” Cliff Rovelto, director of track and field and cross country, said to K-State Sports. “We had some good performances, a lot of average and not too much bad. If going forward we get good work in the next few weeks, we should be OK.”

Junior Shardia Lawrence placed second in the women’s triple jump after her second attempt of 42-11 1/2. Lawrence currently holds the K-State record in the event.

Sophomore Konstantina Romaiou, who also competed in the women’s triple jump, placed sixth and set a personal best 41-10 3/4. Romaiou is now seventh all-time on K-State’s indoor triple jump list.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.