#StopTheChant takes off on Twitter ahead of Sunflower Showdown

0
691
Fans throw confetti as they cheer on K-State against TCU in Bramlage Coliseum on Jan. 20. The Wildcats took the Horned Frogs 73-68. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

With the Kansas State men’s basketball team squaring up against Kansas at home tonight, the “F*** KU” chant has been a big focus of Sunflower Showdown.

In recent years, the K-State student section has chanted against KU at football and men’s basketball games, but students have also chanted it at games against other teams.

Here are some of the reactions K-State fans have had to recent attempts to stop the “F*** KU” chant, using the #StopTheChant hashtag on Twitter.

One user commented that though she does not like KU, the chant is not classy.

Wildcat Watch shared the same sentiment, featuring a dancing cat.

The Black Student Union shared its stance on the chant as well, asking followers to show sportsmanship.

One fan warned that the chant may not help the Wildcats on the court.

Another student brought up several reasons against “F*** KU.”

Today is also the state of Kansas’s birthday, and one user shared her Kansas Day wish: to #StopTheChant.

However, some people are asking for more “Sandstorm.”

And another user says “F*** KU” is not worth worrying about.

The Wildcats and the Jayhawks will face off in Bramlage Coliseum tonight at 8 p.m. Yesterday, the women’s basketball team beat KU 63-59 in overtime in Lawrence.

I'm Dene Dryden, and I graduated in May 2020 with a Bachelor's of Arts in English. Before graduating, I worked at the Collegian for more than three years as a copy chief, managing editor and editor-in-chief. I also served a term on the Collegian Media Group Board of Directors. While at K-State, I also worked at Wildcat 91.1 FM. My cat Robyn is the light of my life, and I take compliments in the form of coffee.