News Briefs: Feb. 1

0
32

Illusionist Jim Monroe will perform in McCain Auditorium today. His show, titled “MAZE,” is a “progressive” magic show that makes the audience question what is real and what isn’t. Tickets are free and are available at the door or the McCain ticket office during business hours. Doors open at 6 p.m., and the show begins at 7 p.m.

Kansan representatives are responding positively to President Trump’s first State of the Union address. Rep. Roger Marshall tweeted “Great speech to Congress and America!” all in caps shortly after Trump’s speech ended Tuesday night. Sen. Pat Roberts echoed Trump’s positive assessment of the economy, although he will continue to stress the importance of NAFTA to the administration.

The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has resigned. Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald, who took the position in July 2017, stepped down after it came to light that she made purchases that conflicted with the CDC’s goals. According to Business Insider, Fitzgerald purchased stock in Japan Tobacco and shares in pharmaceutical companies Merck and Bayer and health insurer Humana. Human and Health Services Secretary Alex Azar was sworn in following Fitzgerald’s resignation Monday.

A train carrying Republican members of Congress struck a truck Wednesday. As of early Wednesday afternoon, there is one confirmed fatality and one serious injury. According to CBS News, none of the Congress members or their staff sustained major injury. The train was en route to the GOP’s annual issue conference in West Virginia when it struck the back of a garbage truck around 11 a.m. in Crozet, Virginia.

Rachel Hogan
Hey, hi, hello! I’m Rachel Hogan, the copy chief for The Collegian. I’m a senior in journalism from Olathe, Kansas. When I’m not at work in the newsroom, I like to spend my time cuddling with my dog, working as a barista and laughing with my friends.