K-State basketball player possibly linked to Overland Park road rage shooting

0
635
Leaping high above the paint, Kansas State Wildcat junior guard Amaad Wainright knocks over Kansas Jayhawk sophomore forward Mitch Lightfoot as he attempts to score. On Jan. 29, 2018, K-State men's basketball faced off against the Jayhawks but ended up losing 70-56. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

Overland Park Police are investigating a Jan. 17 road rage incident that may have involved Amaad Wainright, junior guard on the Kansas State men’s basketball team, according to a post from KCTV5.

The dangerous road rage incident occurred in the middle of rush hour traffic. A 25-year-old man from Overland Park said he was involved in an aggressive exchange on Interstate 435.

“The passenger opened the door, held up a gun and shot one bullet at the back door,” Eric, the road rage victim, said to KCTV5.

No one was hurt in this incident. The incident report has identified that the gunfire came from Wainright’s car.

Overland Park police told KCTV5 they do know there was more than one person within Wainright’s car. Wainright’s involvement within the incident is still unclear.

“We know there were two, and the reason I say that is because someone is driving the vehicle and the other person I guess the door opened a little bit and that’s when the person shot at the victim’s vehicle,” Overland Park Police officer John Lacy said to KCTV5.

Wainright’s hometown is Kansas City, Missouri.

K-State Athletics has officially released this statement on the matter:

“We are aware of the situation involving Amaad Wainright. Amaad fully cooperated with authorities and was not charged. To our knowledge, this matter is resolved.”

K-State men’s basketball had media availability on Tuesday afternoon, where Wainright was not available for comment to the media.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.