Wildcats travel to Texas to look for redemption

0
104
As he scans the court for an open teammate, Kansas State Wildcat freshman gaurd Cartier Diarra holds the ball up in preparation to pass. On Monday night this week, K-State men's basketball faced off against the Jayhawks but ended up losing 70-56. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State men’s basketball team will travel to Austin, Texas, to face the University of Texas Longhorns on Wednesday.

The past two games for the men’s basketball team have been less than optimal. Coming off of a 56-51 win against the University of Georgia, K-State was expected to take its in-state rival, Kansas, and make that game something to remember. Instead, that game started the losing streak for the Wildcats.

K-State fell to KU 70-56. A few days later, the Wildcats traveled out to West Virginia, where they had a gut-wrenching loss of 89-51, one of the worst losses under head coach Bruce Weber.

Now, K-State travels to Austin looking for redemption, courage and a chance to show everyone in the country that they’re better than what they’ve been showing us the past two games.

With a healthy junior guard Kamau Stokes surfacing, the Wildcats have the potential to see him back on the court soon. After leaving the Texas Tech game with a foot injury, Stokes has been recovering from the injury at a steady pace. Freshman Cartier Diarra stepped up in Stokes’ place to take his game to the next level, and he was not shy about it.

This will be the first time that K-State and Texas have been matched up this season. With a 16-7 K-State record and a 15-8 Texas record, there is a chance that this game could be a nail-biter if K-State shows up fully ready to compete.

Texas just recently came off of a win against the University of Oklahoma, where the Longhorns slid by the Sooners at home, 79-74. Matt Coleman led the Longhorns to victory with 22 points. Overall, the Longhorns shot 45.5 percent from the field and 36 percent from the three-point line.

During that time, the Longhorns were able to contain an explosive Trae Young to 19 points for the Sooners. At the end of the game, the Longhorns ended with 25 rebounds and 11 assists, while Oklahoma came in with 37 rebounds and 16 assists.

Junior forward Dean Wade may be the key for a Wildcat win against Texas on Wednesday. When times get tough, Wade was able to make plays that kept the Wildcats in contention — to an extent. Against both Georgia and Kansas, he led the team with 20 points and was the leading scorer again for the West Virginia University game with 17 points.

The K-State and Texas matchup is set to tip off Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Frank Erwin Center. The game will be televised on LHN.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.