K-State tennis hosts North Texas in home opener of spring season

0
22

Coming off a 4-3 win at UCSB, the Kansas State tennis team will host the University of North Texas on Friday.

K-State is off to a 2-1 start in the spring season, defeating UCSB and North Texas and falling to Florida International 4-3 in a close loss.

This will be the first home match for the Wildcats, the first in a pair of home matches; Washington State comes to Manhattan on Sunday.

North Texas will come into Manhattan with a 3-1 record as they are currently on a two-game winning streak after defeating Louisiana Tech and the University of Iowa.

K-State is playing well and has been making good progress going into this match. Doubles appears to be the strong point for this team so far; head coach Danielle Steinberg spoke on this after their win at UCSB.

“I loved our energy and aggressiveness in doubles today,” Steinberg said to K-State Sports. “I made the difference on Courts 2 and 3 and ended up being the difference in the match. I know we can be a strong doubles team, and today was a step in the right direction.”

K-State will hope to continue to be a strong doubles team and also work to getting better at singles against North Texas. Against UCSB, the Wildcats didn’t have a great performance in singles.

“In singles, we didn’t have the best start on all courts, but Maria [Liranes] had a great and complete match,” Steinberg said K-State Sports. “Both Rosanna [Maffei] and Ines [Mesquita] had slow starts but were able to get into it early in the second sets. For Rosy to be able to clinch the match for us as a freshman the way she did, that’s big, and it shows how much potential she has and how much she can do for us in the future.”

In just the fourth game in the early part of the year, K-State can use this game against North Texas to get better and to improve overall in singles and continue to be good in doubles. With Rosanna having a big game and clinching the match for her team as a freshman, that can turn into being huge for K-State and can spread energy to the rest of the team.

K-State will have an opportunity to get to 3-1 on Friday and start 1-0 at home in the spring part of their season. The match will be played at Body First Tennis Center in Manhattan at 3 p.m.