K-State track and field to compete at Texas Tech Shootout this weekend

0
56

The Kansas State men and women’s track and field teams will travel to Lubbock, Texas on Friday and Saturday for the Texas Tech Shootout.

Ten teams will compete in Texas Tech’s meet, including Air Force, Harvard, Arizona State and TCU.

Both K-State and Texas Tech have one of their teams ranked in the top 25. The women’s team for the Wildcats is ranked at No. 22, while the Texas Tech men’s team comes in at No. 2 in this week’s Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association poll.

This upcoming meet is the second to last for the Wildcats before the Big 12 Championships in Ames, Iowa.

Day one of this meet will consist of field and running events. In the field events category, there will be the women’s and men’s triple jump, weight throw and the men’s pole vault. For running events there will be races for 5,000-meter, 400-meter, and 60-meters. There will also be men and women 60-meter hurdles.

On day two, the field events will include the men and women’s shot put, high jump, and long jump, along with the women’s pole vault. In the running events, there will be races for distances of one mile, 3,000-meters, 800-meters, 200-meters and a 4×400 relay.

This season has been filled with many personal bests for the Wildcat athletes. There have been meet records broken and new names in the K-State record books for different events.

In the Carol Robinson Winter Pentathlon, sophomores Ariel Okorie and Lauren Taubert recorded new indoor highs with their performances.

At the K-State Winter Invitational, the Wildcats’ first full meet of the indoor season, the teams combined for nine event wins. Juniors Brett Neelly and Tom Pyle and senior Mitch Dixon set new personal records in their event.

The Wildcats swept the Wildcat Invitational with 22 event titles. Senior Rhizlane Siba set a personal record and broke her own Moroccan record of 5-11 1/4 set in 2014 at the K-State Winter Invite. Senior Mitch Dixon set a personal best for the second meet in a row in the men’s weight throw.

At the fourth annual KU-KSU-WSU, the Wildcats beat both Kansas and Wichita State for the first time since 2015. Kansas had won the trophy the previous two years.

Sophomore Konstantina Romaiou leaped a personal best in the pit with a distance of 41-10 3/4 during the Larry Wieczorek Invitational. Romaiou moved into seventh on K-State’s all-time indoor triple jump list.

Sophomore Justin Davis surpassed his personal best he set at the Larry Wieczorek in the 400-meter race. Davis finished the race in 48.94.

The most recent meet for K-State was the DeLoss Dodds Invitational. There were five meet records set by the Wildcats there.

The next meet for K-State’s track and field teams will be the University of Nebraska–Lincoln’s Nebraska Tune-Up on Feb. 16.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.