Roman, Leverett: Raise the bar, meet the need

0
1104

Paloma Roman, senior in athletic training, and Michael Leverett, junior in social sciences and international studies, organized their campaign for student body president and vice president around two goals: raise the bar and meet the need.

“Raise the bar is speaking on behalf of something that already exists at K-State and making it better, making sure we raise the bar on something that is very special and dear to students,” Roman, presidential candidate, said.

The focus of this platform is the Center for Student Involvement.

Roman, who was involved in last summer’s decision to restructure student organizations, said the information needed to make the transition smooth was not effectively communicated.

“Not a lot of questions got answered,” Roman said. “They talked about communicating this transition to the student body and it never got across.”

To clear up confusion and questions, Roman and Leverett hope to “rebrand” the Center for Student Involvement.

“We want to make it a centralized location for student help,” Roman said.

Roman and Leverett’s goals for the Center for Student Involvement include defining liaison support expectations and expanding the services and resources available to student organizations.

“We want to reduce the stress on students and their organizations,” Roman said.

Their second platform goal, “meet the need,” aims to support Cats’ Cupboard, campus safety initiatives and the Counseling Services.

“We want to focus on the holistic development of experience that students face at K-State,” Leverett said.

The bulk of “meeting the need” focuses on creating “Cat Connection,” a directory to connect faculty and staff to students in times when Counseling Services is overburdened and understaffed.

“It’s connecting our family members together,” Leverett said.

Roman, who is entering her fifth year at Kansas State, has leadership experience from serving as president of the Hispanic American Leadership Organization, working as a student senator, being involved in Wildcat Warmup and working in the Office of Diversity.

Leverett is a transfer student from Southwest Tennessee Community College, where he served as the student body president. At K-State, he is a Big 12 delegate for the Black Student Union.

“We offer a very unique opinion, a very diverse thought,” Leverett said. “We offer a refreshing leadership style which is, I think, key to evolving student government.”

Rachel Hogan
I'm Rachel Hogan, news editor at the Collegian. I'm a sophomore in journalism from Olathe, Kansas. When I'm not at work in the newsroom, I like to spend my time taking naps, playing the cello and laughing with my friends.