Students cash in on fun at Marlatt Casino Night

0
144

Fun doesn’t cost a penny at Marlatt Casino Night, a 32-year-old tradition where attendees get to play casino games, win fake cash and spend their cash on raffle tickets for prizes.

The most recent Casino Night was hosted Friday night in Kramer Dining Center, a first for the event.

The event began as a get-together for Marlatt Hall, Ford Hall and West Hall, but over the years it has become a free event open to all Kansas State students and faculty.

“We try to make sure it’s not exclusive to only Marlatt Hall residents,” said Kennady King, events coordinator for Marlatt’s governing board and freshman in business. “We still use it as a mixer to gather everyone in one place.”

In previous years, the event was held in Jardine Apartments, but this year the event was held in Kramer. The dining hall provided ample space for event-goers, with separate rooms for the various activities.

“I lived in Marlatt for two years and actually helped plan this event my sophomore year,” U’ilani Kaaekuahiwi, senior in animal science, said. “The layout is great in Kramer, and it is a really fun, free thing to do.”

To add to the “Las Vegas casino” atmosphere, event organizers provided blackjack tables, plinko devices, roulette wheels and free refreshments. The workers at this event dressed like official casino dealers.

“It’s my senior year, and I have never got to come to this event before,” Shania Davis, senior in animal science, said. “I really like that anyone at K-State can attend the event.”

Both Davis and Kaaekuahiwi agreed that the best part of Marlatt Casino Night is that everything is free.