OPINION: How to clean your place when you’re tired and broke

0
79

When work, classes and life in general take their toll, it can be difficult to bring yourself to clean your living space. Instead of feeling overwhelmed by the mess, take matters into your own hands and follow these simple suggestions for keeping your place clean.

Set time aside to clean every week

I know it’s really easy to lay down in your bed on a weekend and go down a YouTube rabbit hole of 30-minute Vine compilations, but if you took a bit of time to give your space a once-over, you could reduce the time it takes to clean drastically.

Run a load of laundry, throw away the chip bags accumulating by the couch and wipe down your surfaces with a damp cloth. You’ll feel productive and your space will look nicer, so it’s totally worth it.

Delegate recurring tasks

How many roommate arguments have started over someone refusing to take out the trash? Save yourself the stress of an argument — or worse, a stalemate where the trash just sits there — by establishing chore duties right away and sticking to it.

If you really hate doing a task, get your roommates to help out. Nobody likes cleaning the bathroom, but it’s a bit more bearable if you only have to do it every couple of weeks.

Use generic brands and reusable products to save money

When you’re broke, you have to save money anywhere you can. You really don’t need the name brand dish soap. It’s dish soap — just get the store brand.

Paper towels are handy, but use dish towels when you can. It’s kinder to the planet and to your wallet.

If you use something, put it away

You know in your heart of hearts that the pan doesn’t need to soak before you actually wash it. There is nothing more unpleasant than trying to scrub off day-old pasta adhered to your dishes, so just wash it and put it away right then and there and save your future self the effort.

If you don’t need it, toss it

This one’s self-explanatory. It’s really easy to just ignore things like the expired coupons on the kitchen table, but tossing it now just means one less thing to do later. It’ll require more energy to pick it up and throw it away in a week or two.

Leah Zimmerli is the features editor for the Collegian and a freshman in political science and journalism. The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Collegian. Please send comments to opinion@kstatecollegian.com.

Leah Zimmerli
Hi there! I’m Leah Zimmerli, community desk co-editor, relentless optimist, and lover of big and small dogs. I’m a junior in political science and journalism from Overland Park, Kansas. I hope to bring you pieces that challenge you, that broaden your mindset, and help you learn more about your K-State community.