PREDICTION: A strong finish is destined for K-State

0
168
The K-State men's basketball team gathers before the game against Texas Tech. On Saturday, the Wildcats fell to the Red Raiders 66-47 in Bramlage Coliseum. (Meg Shearer | Collegian Media Group)

I have seen on Twitter many people who have lost faith in this men’s basketball team and have no confidence the rest of the season. This just baffles me because they don’t have much evidence to back up anything that they are saying.

We have struggled against some of the top teams in the best conference in the country, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t a good team.

K-State will finish the season with the bottom six teams in the conference and six teams that the Wildcats have beaten this year.

I think this season will end very well for K-State ,and the Wildcats will indeed win out or maybe just lose one game to close out the season. For some reason, they have tended to play very well against every team that they should beat, but they can’t get over the hump against those teams they should lose to.

The problem with not playing any more top ranked teams is that there’s no chances for getting some quality wins. Their non-conference schedule is usually weak, and this year it was no different. They needed to beat either Kansas, West Virginia University or Texas Tech at least once just to prove to the selection committee that they can win a big game.

The advantage of not playing a top-ranked team in the conference is that now we should be able to take care of business and get many wins down the stretch. K-State controls their own destiny in getting into the NCAA Tournament, and now it just comes down to finishing strong.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: I think K-State can make a Sweet 16 run this season because they have gone through a lot and have proved they are good.

There are many doubters out there, some for good reason, but I think we are watching one of Bruce Weber’s best teams, and they can go far this season.

Avery Osen is a graduate student in mass communications. The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Collegian. Please send comments to opinion@kstatecollegian.com.