Kiehl, Roman continue into general elections for student body president

0
301
As she addresses the crowd, senior presidential candidate Jordan Kiehl states her platform for the future of Kansas State University Student Governing Association. The Kansas State University Student Governing Association had their 2018 presidential candidate debate at the K-State Student Union on Monday. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

The field of candidates for K-State student body president has been narrowed down to two after Jordan Kiehl, senior in industrial engineering and SGA chief of staff, and Paloma Roman, senior in athletic training, came in first and second places respectively in the presidential primary Tuesday.

Kiehl received 1423 votes and Roman received 1230 votes out of a total of 4245 votes cast, ending the campaigns of Will Moreland, senior in agricultural technology management, and Karl Wilhelm, junior in agricultural economics. Moreland and Wilhelm earned 823 and 516 votes respectively, and several other students received handfuls of write-in votes.

Kiehl, who is running with Lacy Pitts, senior in agricultural economics, said she is “thankful to have the support of so many students.”

“We’re thrilled to be moving onto the general elections and to see such positive encouragement from the primaries,” Kiehl said via text message. “There are still always ways we can improve, so we are excited to continue talking with more students everyday about what they’re expecting from their K-State experience and how we can better incorporated their needs into this campaign.”

Roman, who is running with Michael Aaron Leverett Jr., senior in social sciences, said she thinks this is a very “exciting moment.”

“We wanted to take a moment to say ‘thank you’ to all of the students who have supported us so far,” Roman said. “We are thrilled to be moving forward and will continue to focus on raising the bar and meeting the needs of students at Kansas State University.”

Official campaigning for general elections began at 6 p.m. on Feb. 14 when primary polling closed. General election polls open at noon on March 6 and close March 7 at 6 p.m.

For more information about campaign rules and procedures, check out the Student Governing Association Elections website. To learn more about Kiehl and Roman, read about their platforms at the Collegian.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.