K-State women’s basketball to play TCU on Saturday

0
72
As she looks for an open player, senior forward Kaylee Page protects the ball from Iowa State in Bramlage on Feb. 3, 2018. Iowa State defeated the Wildcats 80-45. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s basketball team will play Texas Christian University on Saturday in Fort Worth, Texas. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m.

Coming into this matchup with the Horned Frogs, the Wildcats are 13-12 overall and 5-9 in conference play. TCU is 16-8 and 7-6 in Big 12 play. On the road, K-State is 4-5, while TCU is 10-3 defending their home court.

The Wildcats are coming off a 54-76 loss to the Texas Longhorns in Austin, Texas, on Feb. 10. They made just 14-21 free throws and had 11 assists to go along with 29 rebounds.

Since 2015, K-State is 4-3 in games against TCU. In their game earlier this season, the Wildcats were outscored 63-68 in Manhattan.

K-State shot 40 percent from the field and 29.6 percent from beyond the arc. They made 7-11 shots from the free-throw line finishing at 63 percent.

Thirty-two points in the paint and 16 off turnovers were not enough to beat the Horned Frogs. Their largest lead of the game was five points came with 59 seconds left in the first quarter.

On the defensive end of the floor, they totaled 12 steals and 22 defensive boards.

Junior Kayla Goth led the Wildcats’ offense with 17 points, followed by freshman Rachel Ranke with 16 and Peyton Williams with 11. Goth played all 40 minutes, with 7 rebounds and 11 assists.

TCU made 23-52 field goals and nine three-pointers. The Horned Frogs were almost perfect from the foul line shooting 13-15 free-throws. They finished with 33 rebounds — 25 came on the defensive side of the court. To end the night, they had 15 assists and 10 steals.

Their leading scorer, Amy Okonkwo, averages 15 points in 20 minutes of game action. Okonkwo makes 51 percent of her shots from the field and 26 from three-point range. Jordan Moore leads the Horned Frogs with 6.9 rebounds a game, 52 assists on the season, and is second adding 13.5 points.

Kianna Ray leads with 26 steals on the year and is a 75 percent free-throw shooter. Jordan Moore has started all 24 games this season and sees 24 minutes of playing time.

If K-State hopes to get a win on the road, they will have to keep Okonkwo away from the line, as she shoots 90 percent from the free-throw line. By playing strong defense and taking advantage of their bench’s offense, K-State could pull a victory out in Fort Worth. If they cannot do this, they will have a two-game losing streak on their hands.

Fans can listen to the game on K-State Sports radio network when the Wildcats and Horned Frogs tip off at 2 p.m. on Saturday.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.