First-half struggles cost women’s basketball team a win against TCU

0
29
Junior guard Kayla Goth scans the court for an open teammate against Texas Tech in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 7, 2018. The Wildcats defeated the Red Raiders with a final score of 83-69. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

After a middling first half, the Kansas State women’s basketball team lost 87-70 to TCU in Fort Worth, Texas, on Saturday.

In the last meeting between these two teams in January, TCU won 68-63. After this loss, K-State is now 13-13 overall and 5-10 in the Big 12.

The Wildcats went into the locker room at halftime down by 17 points, 47-30.

Junior guard Kayla Goth and sophomore forward Peyton Williams combined for 20 of the team’s 30 points at halftime. Only three of nine attempted shots from beyond the arc fell for K-State. The Wildcats shot only 35 percent from the field at the half.

One bright spot for the K-State offense came from consistency at the foul line where they made all nine of their free throws.

On the defensive end, the Horned Frogs came crashing down on the boards with 14 rebounds to K-State’s 10 at the half. TCU forced eight Wildcat turnovers and had five steals.

K-State could not find a way to win in the second half. The Horned Frogs shot 54 percent from the field while holding the Wildcats to 43 percent on 53 attempted shots.

K-State continued to turn the ball over and give possession right back to the Horned Frogs. TCU ended up forcing 12 turnovers total, but gave up 14 themselves.

K-State was hurt on the boards as they were out-rebounded 35-25 in this matchup.

If there’s a silver lining in this loss by the K-State women’s team, it’s their free throws. The Wildcats were nearly perfect from the free throw line this game, making 18 out of 19 shots from the foul line.

The Wildcats also forced the Horned Frogs to turn the ball over in the second half more than double the number of times they did in the first half.

Goth ended the night with 23 points and seven assists. Williams had 21 points and nine rebounds.

Amy Okonkwo led TCU with 22 points and 10 rebounds, and was perfect from the line making six free throws. Jordan Moore shot 70 percent from the field for TCU.

K-State will return home for its next game against West Virginia University on Tuesday night. This game is scheduled for a 7 p.m. tip-off inside Bramlage Coliseum. Fans who are not able to attend this game can watch for free on ESPN3.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.