Out of left field: The wild, wild NL West

0
79

The MLB’s National League West fielded three teams in the playoffs last season, including the team with the league’s best record. There is a strong chance that the National League pennant could run through the West for a long time.

Los Angeles Dodgers

The Los Angeles Dodgers are looking for redemption this season fresh off a loss in game seven of the World Series to the Houston Astros last season.

The Dodgers want to establish a dynasty in the NL West with several young, all-star-caliber players headlined by Cody Bellinger and Corey Seager.

Los Angeles has one of the most dangerous starting rotations in baseball right now and the most dominant closer in the game in Kenley Jansen.

The Dodgers could be the most dangerous team in the entire National League right now and are my favorites to win the NL West.

Arizona Diamondbacks

The Arizona Diamondbacks surprised a lot of people last year when they made the playoffs. The Diamondbacks have decent starting pitching headlined by Zack Greinke and a solid lineup as well.

The loss of J.D. Martinez could affect their power significantly in 2018, and the Diamondbacks will rely on Paul Goldschmidt and Jake Lamb for their offense this season.

I think Arizona may be in the playoff hunt for the majority of the season but will ultimately miss the playoffs.

Colorado Rockies

Colorado has a goal to reach the playoffs again after a very early exit in 2017 after a Wild Card Game loss to the Diamondbacks. The Rockies are bringing back the majority of their core players who helped them reach that Wild Card in 2017.

They are very impressive defensively and have a lot of power at the plate. Nolan Arenado and Trevor Story will likely lead the Rockies into a second consecutive playoff appearance.

The Rockies could be the biggest threat to the Dodgers this season and have the potential to dethrone the reigning NL West Champions.

San Diego Padres

The Padres are further along in the rebuilding phase than people give them credit for and will have a good balance of leadership and untapped potential. They will have a lot of power at the plate and will have a very solid defense.

Will Myers and Eric Hosmer will aim to lead the Padres to above .500 for the first time since 2010.

I think the Padres will actually be relevant in the division in 2018 and will make a return to the playoffs in the next three years. Starting pitching has the potential to be their Achilles’ heel in 2018.

San Francisco Giants

After a frustrating 2017 campaign, the San Francisco Giants dished out millions of dollars to get aging big-name free agents Evan Longoria and Andrew McCutchen. It will be interesting to see how this works out for the Giants considering the amount rising stars in the division.

The Giants will want to regain their dynasty once again, and with dominant pitching from Madison Bumgarner and Johnny Cueto they might be able to make a run again.

It is an even year, which the Giants tend to dominate, but really anything can happen in the wild West.