Women’s basketball looks to bounce back, will host West Virginia Tuesday night

0
27
Junior guard Kayla Goth shoots a free throw against Texas Tech in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 7, 2018. The Wildcats defeated Red Raiders with a final score of 83-69. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s basketball team will play West Virginia University at home inside Bramlage Coliseum on Tuesday with tip off scheduled for 7 p.m.

K-State is coming off a 70-87 loss in Fort Worth, Texas, against TCU on Saturday. On the same day, West Virginia came up just short against the University of Oklahoma at home, where the Sooners won in overtime on the Mountaineers home floor 79-70.

The Wildcats are currently 13-13, 5-10 against conference opponents and are 8-6 in front of their home crowd. The Mountaineers are 19-8, 7-8 in the Big 12 and have won five of their eight games on the road this season.

The Wildcats have won two out of the last three games between these teams. Overall, West Virginia leads the series nine games to three.

Earlier this season, K-State went to Morgantown, West Virginia, and found a way to win on the road in West Virginia University Coliseum 60-52. In that game, the Wildcats outscored the Mountaineers in every quarter except the first.

Sophomore Peyton Williams led with 22 points and had 10 boards to go along with two steals. This was the ninth game this season where Williams has scored in double figures.

For junior Kayla Goth, it was the thirteenth time she had scored in double figures, ending her night with 13 points. Goth also had nine rebounds and seven assists.

K-State was able to get some help off the bench from freshman Rachel Ranke, who contributed 11 points and had three steals.

Their largest lead of the game came with six seconds left in the fourth quarter when they were up by eight points. The Wildcats were able to drive to the bucket with 26 points made in the paint. Shooting 36 percent from the field and 24 percent from beyond the arc, K-State was able to pull out the win and hold West Virginia to 30 percent shooting.

West Virginia’s Teana Muldrow scored a game-high 25 points and 10 rebounds in the last meeting between these teams. Muldrow is third in the conference in scoring and fourth in rebounding averaging 19 points and nine rebounds per game. Guarding Muldrow will be a big factor in Tuesday night’s matchup.

In their last game against TCU on Saturday, first-half struggles gave way for the Horned Frogs to get a win on their home floor. If the Wildcats hope to gain a win in front of their home crowd, they are going to have to play solid defense and even out the scoring among teammates.

Fans who are not able to attend this game can watch for free on kstatesports.com when the Wildcats and Mountaineers tip off Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Bramlage.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.