News Briefs: Feb. 21

0
53

An Olathe mother is in jail after the attempted murder of her three children on Feb. 19. Olathe police report that the children had consumed a compound meant to cause harm, which administered by their mother, Therese Roever. Roever is in a long-standing custody battle with her ex-husband. According to the Kansas City Star, Roever also ingested the compound. All four individuals were brought to hospitals in serious condition. Upon her release, Roever was transferred to the Johnson County Jail. There have been no new developments in the case.

Florida students plan to walk out on classes March 14 in protest of gun violence at 10 a.m. for 17 minutes. The Wichita Eagle reports that the EMPOWER branch of the Women’s March is asking students to participate in “#ENOUGH.” The walkout will serve as a moment of remembrance for the victims of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting from earlier this month, as well as a means of asking legislators to create federally enforced gun reform legislation.

Robert Mueller’s special counsel raises charges against a lawyer for lying to investigators about his connection to Rick Gates, a campaign aide for Donald Trump during his 2016 presidential bid. According to CNN, Alex van der Zwaan is slated to plead guilty to the charges. Van der Zwaan faces additional charges for allegedly lying about email communications.

Syrian government airstrikes in rebel-controlled suburb killed more than 100 people in Damascus. CBS News reports that this is one of the deadliest attacks led by Bashar al-Assad’s government in the last three years. The area is occupied by about 400,000 people and has been under siege since last year. Elevated bombardment in the last few weeks are reported to be pointing toward a wide-scale assault on eastern Ghouta to recapture the last major rebel-held stronghold near Damascus.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.