K-State women’s basketball to host Jayhawks Saturday

0
83
Near the paint at Bramlage Coliseum, the K-State women's basketball team gathers to talk about the game. On Tuesday, the K-State Wildcats fell to the West Virginia Mountaineers 75-66. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian media Group)

The Kansas State women’s basketball team will host Kansas on Saturday inside Bramlage Coliseum in Manhattan with tip off scheduled for 3 p.m.

This will be the second meeting of the season for the two teams and will be senior night for K-State’s Kaylee Page and Shaelyn Martin.

This is the 118th game in the Sunflower Showdown. K-State is 71-46 against KU all-time in this series. The Wildcats have won eight straight games against the Jayhawks in women’s basketball.

K-State is 13-14, 5-11 in the Big 12 this season. KU is 12-15 overall, 3-13 in conference play.

The Wildcats have lost their last three games by 11 or more points. The Jayhawks have not fared well against conference opponents but were able to beat Oklahoma State.

Page and Martin have started every game that this season. Page has 23 blocks this season and averages nine points a game. Martin has been a key player for K-State this season with 180 rebounds — 141 coming on the defensive end of the court.

In the first game of the season series, K-State beat KU in Lawrence at Allen Fieldhouse on Jan. 28. The Wildcats took the Jayhawks to overtime and won 63-59.

Sophomore Peyton Williams scored a game-high 23 points and eight rebounds. Williams was perfect from the free-throw line, going 5-5. Junior Kayla Goth contributed 14 points, six assists and three steals.

Juniors Brianna Osorio and Kylee Kopatich led the Jayhawks in that game with 15 points each. Kopatich added a game-high 12 boards.

K-State shot 35 percent from the field and 25 percent from beyond the arc. They were out-rebounded by seven. The Wildcats totaled 43 rebounds, with 34 coming on the defensive end.

KU crashed the boards with 37 defensive rebounds and 50 total.

As a team this season, the Wildcats score 66 points a game and shoot 40 percent from the field. From the foul line, they shoot 70 percent and make 12 free throws per game. Although they rebound 34 times a match-up, they allow their opponents to come away with 42.

Working together and passing the ball to get a shot off will be an important factor for K-State in this game. Not allowing KU to get so many defensive rebounds will be something for the Wildcats to work on and maintain focus on.

Fans not able to attend the game can watch for free on kstatesports.com when the Wildcats and Jayhawks tip off at 3 p.m. on Saturday.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.