K-State baseball wins first season series against Old Dominion

0
48
Senior third baseman Josh Ethier fields and throws the ball to first base during the K-State game against TCU at Tointon Stadium on April 1, 2017. (File Photo by Sabrina Cline | Collegian Media Group)

It was a good weekend for the Kansas State baseball team as they defeated Old Dominion in two out of three games at the Bud Metheny Baseball Complex in Norfolk, Virginia.

The Wildcats won the first two games of the series, winning Friday 11-3 and Saturday 11-5, but fell short of the sweep by losing 11-8 on Sunday. The Wildcats are now 4-4 this season.

The Wildcats hit the ball well, setting their season scoring high at 11 runs in the first two games and scoring eight in the final game.

In the first two games of the series, the Wildcats were able to add good pitching to the good hitting, holding Old Dominion to three runs on Friday and five runs on Saturday. Unfortunately, the pitching wasn’t there to go along with the hitting on Sunday as Old Dominion outscored the Wildcats with 11 runs.

On Friday, sophomore starting pitcher Kasey Ford had a good day on the mound as he got his first win of the year.

To go along with Ford’s performance, all nine hitters in the line up got a hit, and five hitters recorded a multi-hit game. Senior infielder Jake Biller led the way on the great hitting performance by getting his career high of four hits.

On Saturday, junior starting pitcher Gabe Littlejim got his first win of the year as he followed Kasey Ford up with a good performance on the mound.

In his six innings, he walked nobody and recorded six strikeouts. Littlejim held Old Dominion scoreless until the sixth inning when they scored three runs after the Wildcats got to a comfortable 10-0 lead.

On top of Littlejim’s excellent pitching performance, the Wildcats took control of the game in the first three innings by scoring seven runs.

Sophomore lead-off hitter Will Brennan and sophomore shortstop Cameron Thompson both contributed to the scoring by getting three hits each. With Brennan’s three hits, he extended his career-long on-base streak to 29 games.

On Sunday, a pair of seniors put their team in front in the second inning: outfielder Kyle Barfield gave the Wildcats the lead by hitting a three-run home run to put the Wildcats up 4-3, and infielder Jake Biller followed with a solo home run that put the Wildcats up 5-3.

By how the first two games of the series went, it was assumed that the Wildcats would run away with the third game, but that was not the case as Old Dominion came back and outscored the Wildcats 11-8 to avoid the sweep.

The Wildcats will now head home as they host the La Salle Explorers for a three-game series beginning March 2 for their home opener.