Out of left field: the new era of Bronx Bombers

0
65

This year’s forecast at Yankee Stadium calls for sunny skies with a high chance of homers. The new era of Bronx Bombers is here to steal the show.

There is a lot of excitement in New York for the upcoming Yankees season. Fans and media showed up in droves just to watch the New York Yankees take batting practice in Tampa, Florida, last Monday.

Aaron Judge single-handedly took New York by storm last season, and he is just the tip of the iceberg for the new era of Bronx Bombers.

The Yankees acquired Giancarlo Stanton from the Miami Marlins this offseason in a trade that surprised and confused a lot of people.

With the combination of Judge, Stanton and Gary Sanchez, it’s going to be tough for even to best pitchers in the game to sleep at night.

The Yankees now have three of the eight participants of the 2017 Home Run Derby including the winner, Judge. Let that sink in; 38 percent of the participants will wear the pinstripes this season.

New manager Aaron Boone will have a lot of talent to play with in his first season as a skipper. The Yankees have a lot of power throughout the lineup as well as prospects coming up through the farm system.

Yankees shortstop Didi Gregorius has shown that he has power and can perform in the clutch. He has shown that he is done living in the shadow of Derek Jeter and is ready to make a name for himself.

This Yankees team is going to be very fun to watch unless you’re a fan of a team in the AL East. The Yankees are looking to regain their dominance and are trying to make it farther in the postseason than the ALDS for the first time since 2009.

Time will tell if this is the year that the Yankees make a return to the World Series for the first time in 9 years, but it is safe to say that it’s a good idea to grab a seat in the bleachers.

Cody Friesen is a junior in family studies and human services. The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Collegian. Please send comments to opinion@kstatecollegian.com.