K-State women’s basketball set for third Sunflower Showdown

0
128

The Kansas State women’s basketball team locked up an 8-seed in the Big 12 tournament and a date with in-state rival Kansas on Friday at 6 p.m.

Here is how K-State ended up in the eighth seed instead of the seventh position that they appeared to be set up for. The tiebreaker went through six rounds.

First, Iowa State beat Kansas Tuesday night to move to 7-11 in conference, a tie with the Wildcats. The first tiebreaker is head-to-head play, but K-State split the season series with the Cyclones, 1-1.

Next, according the Big 12 rules, was their record against the top team, Baylor. The Bears did not lose a single in-conference game.

The tiebreaker moved to the University of Texas, then the University of Oklahoma, then Oklahoma State and finally settled on TCU. Iowa State split with TCU, while TCU swept the Wildcats.

That tiebreaker is the difference between a potential matchup with the 28-1 Baylor Bears, who are ranked number three in the country, and the 24-5 Texas Longhorns.

Before that date with Baylor, though, K-State will have to do a very difficult thing: beat a team three times in a single season.

K-State beat KU in Lawrence in a overtime thriller — 63-59 — and then ran the Jayhawks out of Bramlage Coliseum 91-67.

The 91 points K-State scored in that game was the second most they have scored this season after scoring 99 against Chicago State.

The Wildcats are led by junior guard Kayla Goth, who averages 16.7 points and 6.8 assists per game. She is one of three Wildcats who have started all 29 games this season.

Goth had a double-double in the matchup in Manhattan, scoring 21 points and adding 12 assists.

In both games against the Wildcats, KU was led by junior guard Kylee Kopatich. She scored 15 in the game in Lawrence and 17 in Manhattan last week.

In the home game K-State almost set the nets on fire by shooting 57.1 percent from three. Freshman guard Rachel Ranke made five of eight treys.

The Wildcats will need to make some noise in the Big 12 Tournament if they hope to make the WNIT, and that starts with a win over Kansas.

K-State and KU will face off in Oklahoma City on Friday at 6 p.m.

Hi! I'm Nathan Enserro, a graduate student from Olathe, Kansas, working on a Masters in Mass Communication. I graduated in spring 2020 with a Bachelor's of Science in strategic communications from K-State. This is my fourth year covering K-State sports for the Collegian.