K-State women’s basketball falls to Baylor in Big 12 quarterfinals

0
121
Junior guard Kayla Goth scans the court for an open teammate as she protects the ball against KU in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 24, 2018. The Wildcats defeated the Jayhawks 91-67. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s basketball team competed in the Big 12 Tournament this weekend in Oklahoma City with the Wildcats beating the KU Jayhawks on Friday and falling to the Baylor Bears on Saturday.

Friday’s game against KU saw a K-State victory against the Jayhawks, 72-63, in the first round of the tournament. This was the third time in four seasons that the Wildcats have advanced through the first round under head coach Jeff Mittie.

K-State went into halftime down by one against KU, but in the second half the Wildcats outscored the Jayhawks 43-33. K-State scored 26 points in the fourth quarter after being down by eight to pull out the win.

This effort was led by senior forward Kaylee Page, who had 20 points on 7-15 shooting from the field and 5-8 from 3-point range. Her five shots from beyond the arc ties her for second in program history in a Big 12 Tournament game.

The Wildcats led for just under four minutes the entire game, but just as they have all season long, this group worked together to put points up when they needed to. Junior guard Kayla Goth, sophomore forward Peyton Williams and freshman guard Rachel Ranke all finished the night in double figures for K-State.

Goth finished with 19 points and 70 percent from the foul line on 7-10 free throws. Williams had 14 points and two blocks, while Ranke had 10 points and seven defensive boards for the night.

Ranke, who leads K-State in shots made from 3-point range, made just one 3-pointer out of nine attempts against the Jayhawks.

This was the tenth straight win against KU in the series.

After their opening tournament win, the Wildcats faced the No. 1 seeded Baylor Bears in the quarterfinals. Baylor put on a performance like one would expect and beat K-State 83-54 on Saturday.

Goth registered her eighth game with 20 or more points, scoring 24 in this game with four assists. Williams added 10 points to the team effort.

K-State’s defense could not hold off Baylor, which had four players score in double figures. Junior Kalani Brown, the 2018 Big 12 Player of the Year, had 26 points and 13 rebounds. Senior Dekeiya Cohen added 19 points, sophomore Juicy Landrum scored 14 points and sophomore Lauren Cox contributed 10 points.

Baylor took advantage of K-State’s 18 turnovers and scored 26 points off turnovers. K-State not being able to defend in the lane led to Baylor’s 48 points in the paint compared to K-State’s 12. Baylor led the whole game, except for 20 seconds when K-State tied it up.

The Wildcats finished their season 16-15 overall. K-State has made the post-season in each of the last four years under Coach Mittie.

The Wildcats will find out on March 12 if they will play in the Women’s National Invitation Tournament.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.