Comedian speaks about ‘defying everyday forms of sexism’

0
68

Amanda Seales, activist and comedian, presented “The Sideye Seminar: Identifying and Defying Everyday Forms of Sexism” on Tuesday in the K-State Student Union Ballroom at 7 p.m. Union Program Council and the Feminists Igniting Resistance Empowerment teamed up to host the event in honor of Women’s History Month.

Seales began her career in the music industry but gave up her rap career in order change the ways modern culture addresses women. She said she believes society will begin to shift if it starts fully respecting women. Now, Seales works as a standup comedian.

Seales was recently named one of Time Out LA’s Comedians to watch in 2017, and was featured in a CNN segment in which she debated catcalling in New York City with Steve Santagati, author of “The Manual: A True Bad Boy Explains How Men Think, Date, and Mate–and What Women Can Do to Come Out on Top.”

During the seminar Tuesday, Seales addressed this debate. She discussed the moment Santagati said the women love to be complimented all day and that if someone doesn’t like it they should “carry a gun.”

Her reaction to this went viral, and she has since continued to preach how people need to look at these situations “side-eyed” and confront them.

Seales said she believes that people should “empower each other so that we can empower the world.”

Additionally, Seales said that comments such as “you did that well for a girl” limit women in terms of what they are capable of and puts unfair expectations on our society.

Jacob Swift, sophomore in computer engineering, said the seminar wasn’t at all what he expected.

“I thought it was going to be all about how men are bad people, but she explains how we need to respect and understand each other better to grow,” Swift said.

Seales said this was her thirtieth seminar and that she hopes to continue to spread her message.