K-State baseball dominates Incarnate Word 14-3 on Wednesday

0
45
Sophomore pitcher, Kasey Ford, pitches against La Salle in Tointon Family Stadium on Mar. 2, 2018. The Wildcats defeated the Explorers 9-3. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State baseball team played the University of Incarnate Word on Wednesday afternoon and finished the day with a dominant 14-3 win.

With this win, K-State is now 8-4 overall and continues its streak of four straight home game wins inside Tointon Family Stadium.

The winning pitcher was right-handed sophomore Caleb Littlejim, who started the day on the mound for the Wildcats. He went four innings, giving up three runs on six hits and throwing two walks while striking out three batters. After this outing, Littlejim is now 2-0 in his starts this season.

In the third inning, the Wildcats scored four runs on a double, two walks, and a single. Through the fourth and fifth inning, junior Drew Mount homered to right field and senior Hanz Harker scored on a sacrifice fly to right field by senior Jake Biller.

The sixth inning was when K-State really broke the game open to secure their win over Incarnate Word.

Freshman Jordan Maxson singled and advanced to third on an error, driving in senior Trent McMaster and junior TK McWhertor, helping K-State reach eight points in the inning.

Infielder Biller hit his third home run of the year with a grand slam to put K-State ahead 12-3 in the sixth inning. He went 3-4 in this game and scored another run.

Sophomore Cameron Thompson scored on a fielder’s choice, followed by sophomore Connor Rule hitting a single to right field and Mount scored the 14th run of the game for K-State.

Freshman right-hander Quinton Potter came on in relief of Littlejim and pitched two scoreless innings. Potter gave up one hit and three walks while facing 10 batters, but forced six flyouts.

Senior Hudson Treu came on in the seventh inning to close out the win. Treu retired the three batters he faced on flyouts but did not qualify for the save because his team gave him more than three runs to work with.

K-State left 13 on-base and struck out four times, but were able to score 14 runs on a collective 13 hits, 13 runs batted in and nine walks.

The losing pitcher for Incarnate Word Cardinals was their starter, freshman Jake Zatopek. Zatopek only lasted two innings before being pulled from the game after giving up three runs, on three walks and three hits. He faced 14 batters, only retiring four.

Incarnate Word used five pitchers in total in its losing effort against K-State. Freshman Aaron Celestino gave up eight runs on four hits and three walks.

The Wildcats could prove to have an impressive season, especially come conference play if they continue to score runs when opportunities present themselves. When the pitching staff can get quick innings with help from the defense, K-State puts itself in a good position to get the win.

The next game for the Wildcats will be the start of a three-game series against Mercer on Friday with first pitch scheduled for 3 p.m. in Tointon Family Stadium. Fans not able to attend the game can watch it for free on kstatesports.com.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.